Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some reading and a few years of owning various snakes and lizards, I decided to get a yemen chameleon. I've had him a few days now and just have a couple of questions which I am not entirely clear on, as some of the sources where I have read about them contradict each other.

Handling? Is it safe (in regards to the chameleons health and well being) to handle them? I have read that they should be handled as little as possible as it is stressful for them and can make them aggressive.. Then other sources say that they are fine to be handled and the aggressiveness depends on the chameleon. Mine seems to be somewhere in-between lol. I have had him out twice since I got him, the first time he hissed at first, but was no trouble once I had him out, he was climbing up my arms and letting me pick him up no problem. The second time I got him out he was no trouble at all, no hissing etc and has took wax worms off my hand both times with no problems. Tonight however was a totally different story, whenever I put my hand near him to pick him up he hissed, flared his chin out and enlarged his body, then bit my girlfriend when she tried lol. So what do you guys think or recommend with regards to handling yemen chameleons?

Viv? I have also read that all mesh vivs are best for chameleons, as glass sides can stress the chameleon greatly from them seeing their own reflection in the glass. I have a glass sided and mesh top viv and have observed my chameleon when sitting up against the glass at the top of one of his sticks.. and he doesn't seem bothered by his reflection atall.. but again, just wanted to see what you guys think on this one too.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Mesh Vivariums are the best. I use Reptibreeze's XL size and would not dream of using something smaller for a Yemen. I have a number of these with plenty of foliage in and a good thick layer of orchid bark at the bottom. Personally I would not use glass ones - I just don't think that they are ideal especially as Yemens need good air circulation to mimic their natural environment. I must be doing something right as my oldest male which I hatched is now 8 years old.

Personally I try not to handle them and would never ever dream of picking mine up as the natural acids in human skin can and will damage the skin of Chameleons. But I do put my arm in my reptibreezes and let the Chameleons use me as an extension to their plants. If they want to climb on me that is fine. If they do climb on me I will normally go and sit out in the garden with them for half an hour so that they get natural UV which is fantastic for them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mesh Vivariums are the best. I use Reptibreeze's XL size and would not dream of using something smaller for a Yemen. I have a number of these with plenty of foliage in and a good thick layer of orchid bark at the bottom. Personally I would not use glass ones - I just don't think that they are ideal especially as Yemens need good air circulation to mimic their natural environment. I must be doing something right as my oldest male which I hatched is now 8 years old.

Personally I try not to handle them and would never ever dream of picking mine up as the natural acids in human skin can and will damage the skin of Chameleons. But I do put my arm in my reptibreezes and let the Chameleons use me as an extension to their plants. If they want to climb on me that is fine. If they do climb on me I will normally go and sit out in the garden with them for half an hour so that they get natural UV which is fantastic for them.
I read that using substrates can be dangerous for chameleons, as there is a chance of them picking up little bits of it on their tongues when feeding, which can then cause them problems in their digestive system.. is this not the case?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I read that using substrates can be dangerous for chameleons, as there is a chance of them picking up little bits of it on their tongues when feeding, which can then cause them problems in their digestive system.. is this not the case?
A chameleon will very rarely use the bottom of the tank, so most people have no substrate. Personally I just have a couple of brown towels that I rotate once a week during cleaning. Don't bother if you don't feel comfortable. I have seen my cham pick up some debris with a bug, luckily it fell out of his mouth so I took the substrate away. Handling is as you said, it can stress them whilst they are in the viv but then they can clam down once out, but that might not be the case for all chams as they all have their own personalities. Always wash your hands before and after. The glass will be no good. Simply because you need a vent at the top (your mesh) for the hot air to escape and some vents near the bottom so cool fresh air can get in, obviously with glass you cannot cut into it to put some vents in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts