Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have bought 2 yemen chameleons from specialized shop and i just noticed that they both seem to have tarsal spurs. I wanted a male and female and ended up gettin 2 males NOT VERY GD. i was woundering if anyone can post some pix of there male and female chameleon pix on here of the back of there hind feet so i can make sure that they are both males. Thanks tom

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
if they both have little spikes comming out their hind feet then uv deff got 2 boys as the females deff have nothing of the sort like that.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
young female yemen... showing lack of spur on hind leg..

female:

young male - can see spur

you can see the spurs from the time they come out of the egg actually, if you look closely

N

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi! This is my first post...yay! Just to say that I got a young male cham last summer,who laid 'his' first eggs last month! 'He' defineatly had little spurs when I got him,from a very experienced dealer,too. So sometimes they are tricking you...or maybe not too sure what they are at first?! Anyway,one of yours may be a girl,too. I reackon mine is just really butch. She is still very put out about the whole egg business,and is holding me intirely responsible. What a performance! Good luck with them,whatever they end up being!

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
Pics of your cham??

If it's a yemen then theres no such thing as "not sure" it either has a spur or doesn't.

Also consider letting one go back completely. Yemens are solitary creaturesand are not best kept in pairs, you could loose a beastie or have one hurt or end up with two unhappy chams.

Even in a huge viv some cham's, when older, won't accept a viv mate :)

They might be allright now but when if you find out they are fighting as they grow then you'll require another full setup!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
its interesting that u say u have what looks to be a male laying eggs lol. I think there is always chances of things like this in genetics and although very unique, things like these do happen, I.E some males actually have more female hormones than they should in our species and appear to grow breasts. Scientificly I dont see any reason why it couldnt be possible to have something like that appear within other species.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
jobug..

if "he" had spurs then, "he" would still have them now... can you get a pic of the back of the back leg and foot? kinda fascinated now!

N

1 - 8 of 8 Posts