Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys im looking to purchase a chameleon.. im looking at getting either a Vield or a Panther.

Ive done some research regarding the housing but im still a bit confused.. Can any one tell me what would be best?

Some people are saying its best to get a wooden viv.. but others saying they dont have enough ventalation..

Others say to get a glass exo terra with a mesh roof but then people say they dont keep heat to well and also the reflection of the Cham can stress them...

Ive heard good things about Flexariums but im not sure i like the look of them.. also my house tends to get pretty cold during the winter because we have no central heating.. Im not sure if this would be a good idea for a Chameleon.

Please can you give me your input and let me know what you think would be best.

Also - if any one had a Chameleon can you let me know if they make good pets.. I.E friendly.. are they aggressive towards you? Ive heard some good things about the Panthers but a lot of people are saying Vields can get very grumpy and arnt very friendly.

Thanks in advance for your time.

B.Rgds
Ben

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
First up if you are looking for a pet to handle then a cham probably isn't for you, that said though they are great to watch.

Most people I know keep chams in flexariums with a decent heat lamp on the top. I've seen some live planted exo terras with coir panels on the sides of the glass which are great if you are happy to go down that route. Extra effort but they look great.

You will need a high % UV and plenty of calcium supplements for these guys, they grow fast and are prone to calcium deficiency. Man can they eat but it never gets boring watching them stalk crickets!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nix,

Thanks for the advice.. Do you have any Chams of your own.. When i say handle i mainly mean i dont want it to bite my fingers off when i to put some food in the cage. Oviously it will be good if you can have one which is friendly enough to climb onto you now and then but ive read Chams can stress pretty easily and should be handled as less as possille..

I currently own 2 Leos and a beady and im looking for somthing new to add to the collection :) I guess the me wanting to handle the Cham is because im used to the beardys and leos being so well behaved when it comes to being picked up.. theyre always at the door waiting to come out! :-D

Rgds
Ben

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.