Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a Male Yemen Chameleon who eats and drinks well, has his supplements and gut loaded food. He has good UV and heat and viv is very well ventilated.
I came home this evening to find what looks like a water blister on his back. It is directly under his back frill and is fairly small but I am worried.

Does anyone know what this could be and why he has it?

Thank you in advance.

Jimmy

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know if it is linked but on Monday the bulb blew and i replaced a exo terra sunglo with a zoo med basking bulb. He still lies and basks as normal and he cannot get near it to burn himself? Unsur if this may be the problem but presume not.

Your help is very much appreciated

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
how far from the basking light does he sit? sounds like he could be sunburnt (no i'm not joking!)
yemens are actually kind of stupid when it comes to lightbulbs and will sit under one until they burn if you are not careful..i would look at the distance of the bulb from the yemen depending on the wattage...the different bulb may have been what did it...different directed concentration of heat...

100w should be 8 inches min.
150w should be 11/12 inches min.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
u cant literally get sunburnt off a lightbulb surely :? fair enough burnt but SUNburnt? deems a bit silly to me :p

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Belial,

The main basking branch is diagonaly through his vivl with the closest bit being 8 away from the bulb. He is sat their this morning but a little higher up the branch so is a little further away. The blister is still the same size.

The zoo med bulb box does say on the side that it focuses 35% more light and heat into the beam.

Is there anything i can do to help him or any special cream etc i can get?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
i would say to leave it alone (just like you would a humans) let it run it's coarse, the fluid under blister should dry up and reduce eventually, messing with it could corse it to burst and that could introduce infection...also you probably have already with belial's great advise but raise bulb slightly higher or if not possible lower basking branch....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Nicky,

I have been out and bought a bulb that does not concentrate the heat nd have changed the bulb fitting so it is h9igher up by a few inches.

The blister ihas not gone down but he does not seem to bothered by it and is still eating and very active.

I will keep an eye on it and hope he gets better.

Also, just wondered if anyone has pet insurance for the rep? I imagine the vets bills could be high for exotic pets, any advice would be great.

Happy Christmas to all ( i've just put up the decorations and am in that christmas spirit now)

Jimmy

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
blazey (ok maybe not sunburn!! more burnt but you do get blisters when sunburnt...got kinda carried away..was very tired last night!! :? )

jimmy,

nicky is right, do not mess with it..only leads to infection..it will dry up on it's own, probably...
long as he is not bothered i wouldn't worry....just keep that distance and he should be fine... :)

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
oh forgot....there is a company that do good rep insurance.will look it up for you and let you know...it isn't that expensive i don't think...don't have any personally but keep meaning too!! the amount of reps i have i need it!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys.
Has a quick google, I just wondered if there was a popular one used by lots of members here?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts