Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep reading that you shouldnt keep chams in vivs with glass doors, personally ive never had any probs,has anyone experianced problems first hand or is all this talk just a visicous rumor....?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
i keep reading that you shouldnt keep chams in vivs with glass doors, personally ive never had any probs,has anyone experianced problems first hand or is all this talk just a visicous rumor....?
all glass vivs are a definate no no, they are ok for up to 6 weeks but thats it.

i like you have read that glass doors are not a good idea with chams as it stressses them, however after talking on here with daddy cool he has no problems with it so to be honest i cant give you a straight yes or no. all i can say is that if your cham seems stressed with them change them, if he seems ok dont worry. the only other thing i have heard with glass doors is that they can damage the tounge if they was to fire at a bug on the glass and was to miss, but i think you would have to be pretty unlucky!

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think you would know if the reflection is stressing them. If they are around the glass and they get dark or turn and run away, its probably a sign they dont like it.

Also i heard its mainly males that don't like reflections.

Mine has a half glass half mesh viv at the mo as she is still young and seems absolutely fine. Lovely bright green colours relatively good mood etc.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My male is in a wooden viv with glass doors and he has never shown any signs of stress, and he does stare out through the glass a lot!
it just seems weird that whenever anyone asks advice they're always told about glass doors yet no one that has glass doors has problems...?
begining to think its all a lie....

·
Registered
629 Posts
it just seems weird that whenever anyone asks advice they're always told about glass doors yet no one that has glass doors has problems...?
begining to think its all a lie....

Maybe its a vicious rumour spread by Mesh Enclosure manufacturers. :p

I think one of the main things about an all glass enclosure of course is the lack of air flow. The mesh provides much better throughflow, especially if you have say 2 sides mesh or a front and top mesh etc.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, seen a Jackson's chameleon (not one of mine) fire his tongue at a locust on glass, miss and break his tongue...it hyperextended and basically lolled out on the floor never to retract again...wasn't pretty.
could he have done the same on mesh,wood,decor etc...if he could break his tongue on anything,surely thats not a reason not to have glass?
just a real same he wasnt a good shot

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
as knighty has said I have a wood viv with glass doors, but i have very poor heat retention and lots of through draughts, so my large vents are enough to circulate the air, and still enable heat retention....just!!

i haven't ever witnessed aggressive behaviour or stressed behaviour towards the glass, and the way one of the females sometimes sits and watches what i'm up to, and when i walk to the viv, gets ready to climb onto my hand, i'm not even sure if there is much reflection...if i was smaller, i could climb in and check!!

so i don't really know the answer, except that my lot seem ok with glass doors....maybe its because they have natural light coming through into the viv at all times (not direct sunlight....) when the lights are on.....or in winter the room is generally lit

one of my females actually goes to the glass (sometimes), as she likes running water drips, instead of drips hanging off leaves, and she licks the drips as they run down the glass....she leaves lots of tongue marks on the glass...which looks funny....makes it hard for me to keep the glass clean and mist free....

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
could he have done the same on mesh,wood,decor etc...if he could break his tongue on anything,surely thats not a reason not to have glass?
just a real same he wasnt a good shot
the point is that they do not reconise glass and reflections can misslead there aim. also a moth, fly ect can land on the outside of the glass and the chameleon does not understand that and if hungry will shoot at it. there is not much chance of it happening on mesh as mesh would flex out with the impact(asuming you are talking about fly mesh) of course there is a chance that it could happen on wood, but wood provides no distractions/reflections ect making it alot less likely. but the chances of it happening on a log or other decore item is alot lot lower as most decore items are soft and vines ect have some bend to them also there is alot less target area, and again no distractions/reflections...

no one was having ago at glass, a point was simply being made, and as this was witnessed first hand i think it was a good point to be making.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've yet to see a veiled get stressed because of glass,infact when introducing females and using the mirror trick to fool the male into thinking he has to earn the females didnt even stress out my male,

the fact is its all too do with airflow and mesh is best or wood with mesh doors,wood with glass doors doesnt allow the correct airflow and lets face it can you see a respiratory infection ? nope not until its took hold.

so yes mesh is better and just because something doesnt seem to make a difference doesnt mean to say it doesnt.

wooden vivs with mesh doors is all i would ever put mine in,

except my pygmy chams that are the opposite and dont need the airflow that veileds do so in there case its glass exo terra's with half the mesh cover'd up.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
wood with glass doors can work providing enough vents and mesh pannels are put in. a mesh roof with side vents and a vent under the doors would provide enough air flow. small low wattage fans can also be encorperated to give more air curculation. as long as the old air can escape and new air can enter the viv will work fine

i personaly use flexis as my house is very warm and would be imposible to keep the temps down in a wooden viv, but i would not rule out the possibility of a wooden viv in the future, especialy as flexis are no longer being made for the u.k market.

a respiratory problem can be spotted and can be treated using antibiotics. common signs of URI (upper respiratory infection) are 1, the salyva thickening and becoming stringy and 2, a crackaling or popping sound in the chameleons breathing. these are tell tales signs and a vet should be contacted to administer medication.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I agree knighty my point to make is just that it has been said is this just a myth about using mesh

nope it isnt a myth it is said because of a reason and the reason being they need fresh air,i personaly used wooden vivs with glass doors at the start and even went to the point of using my brothers smoke machine ( wired up rather strangly and in a fashion) to monitor the airflow correctly and it worked fine for me,

now i use mesh doors which cost less to make and dont need cleaned :2thumb:,

to any newcomer surely it is better to go mesh than get it wrong with glass and end up with a poorly cham.

I dont know the ins and outs of respiratory infections but i do know how to provent it and thats all that matters.

having seen several chams not cared for correctly and some in a real bad way(now deceased) surely it is better to go ott than go the opposite way.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
totaly agree that pravention IS better than cure!

i mainly put the how to spot a URI in as it is a myth to think that it is only bad circulation that can cause them, one of the other causes would be to have a constant level of high humidity (talking for yemens here).

its hard to judge on what someone should use, newcomer or not, because the viv has to suit the room conditions its going to be placed in. if someone was going for a wooden viv, i like you would personaly advice to go with mesh doors mainly because it poses less problems for a newcomer to worry over.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.