Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been looking for a method of routinely testing our Leopard geckos that would be cheap, efficient and effective. I looked into it and came across a laboratory offering a wide range of services. We got in touch and were impressed straight away by the manner and knowledge of the staff we spoke to.

They confirmed they would be able to carry out tests for private keepers as well as veterinary practices and sent us out a kit consisting of postage-paid jiffy bags, sample tubes and submission forms. We sent off a couple of samples and received our results by e-mail within 48h of posting the samples.

A faecal screen is £10 + VAT.
A full parasitology is £25 + VAT.

The most important thing I want to highlight is that the full parasitology involves an immunofluorescent antibody test for crypto which is very accurate, unlike most staining methods used by a lot of veterinary practices.

With the rising number of confirmed and suspected parasite cases in Leopard geckos seen on this forum alone, I believe it would make a real difference if people carried out just one of these tests on each new arrival in their collection, and the obvious spread of such devastating parasitic diseases as crypto could be slowed.

We will most definitely be using this lab again for routine screeing and if ours Leos produce any suspicious poos.

Of course this is no substitute for veterinary treatment if a problem arises - in our case we have spoken to our vet and they have confirmed that they would accept a report from this lab to provide us with any treatment necessary. Any needing to see the vet would then be taken.

However for routine testing it has saved us a consultation fee, the time taken to take the sample to the vet and for them to then send it on to the lab, all of which decreases the accuracy of the results. It is also a reassurance if we want to check up on any leos.

We would be willing to offer testing on any of the leos we sell prior to purchase and although it may mean slightly higher prices, it would provide peace of mind to buyers and can only be a good thing for the hobby if others follow suit.

The link for the lab is Pinmoore Animal Laboratory Services Limited

We hope this will come in useful for some of you, feel free to pm us with any questions, and if anyone decides to test their reptiles we would appreciate it if you could mention Jess and Paul highly recommended them!

: victory:

Reactions: kbargent and karlh

·
Registered
584 Posts
spot on, iv added thier link to my favourites and i will use them to test a few soon. you can never be too safe and if this brings down the price then more people will do it, cheers:notworthy:

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spot on, iv added thier link to my favourites and i will use them to test a few soon. you can never be too safe and if this brings down the price then more people will do it, cheers:notworthy:
oo thanky!
No probs, hope you find them as useful as we did, would be great to hear your opinion after you used them?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I want this to be a sticky, its tonnes cheaper than going through a vet. I think more people would get them done if they knew about this.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
You're a star :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
as said last night I reckon this is a good idea and have bookmarked it for later ;)
With the rising number of confirmed and suspected parasite cases in Leopard geckos seen on this forum alone, I believe it would make a real difference if people carried out just one of these tests on each new arrival in their collection, and the obvious spread of such devastating parasitic diseases as crypto could be slowed.
*nods* my thoughts as well : victory:

We would be willing to offer testing on any of the leos we sell prior to purchase and although it may mean slightly higher prices, it would provide peace of mind to buyers and can only be a good thing for the hobby if others follow suit.
I already do regular basic fecals as standard but I'd be willing to offer Pinmore's lab check as well.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent thread thank-you , a sticky would be really good I do know that we have lots and mods dont like to sticky new things too much but this is REALLY important info and very helpful.. : victory:
Agreed! We have found the service very useful and it would be ashame if it got lost in the forum, especially when it can help others not least from a money point of view!
Brilliant - a great find thank you. :notworthy:

I assume they can do this for Torts, Leo Geckos, Breadies??
Cheers! yes they can do all different testing from snakes and lizards through to zoo animals!

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
definitely signing up for this one... needs to be a sticky :D ideal for the 5 i got coming out of quarantine

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
thnx for sharing this info, it should come in very handy:2thumb:

·
Funkygeckos.webs.com
5,359 Posts
Good stuff, thanks for passing on the info.

Defo agree, that as Sticky`s were `invented` for genuinely useful threads that needed referring back to often - especially by noobs - that this deserves to be up there.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Quality stuff - sticky req'd !!

Nice shout ! :2thumb:

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really pleased people seem to have found this useful, will keep bumping it for the time-being so people get chance to see it.

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
well i emailed thmem this mornign and i have had around 3 replies from them, very fast tis great :)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts