Reptile Forums banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Wow that's brilliant would be nice to see people doing this before selling there reps I'd happily do and I'd rather pay a extra tenner to buy a rep and know its ok
Yes we'd like to offer something but as yet are not sure how we would go about it, ie test all before sale and add price onto hatchlings, or offer it after a deposit is received and return the deposit if a problem is found etc.
Do a faecal screen or full parasitology etc.

Not really a problem with more expensive morphs, or with the basic test for a tenner, but would anyone pay 50 odd quid for a normal certified crypto free....?

Any opinions on this would be good to hear!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Yes we'd like to offer something but as yet are not sure how we would go about it, ie test all before sale and add price onto hatchlings, or offer it after a deposit is received and return the deposit if a problem is found etc.

Not really a problem with more expensive morphs, or with the basic test for a tenner, but would anyone pay 50 odd quid for a normal certified crypto free....?

can see where you are coming from completely! but even if people know the other reps are £25 screened and then the babies are £10 screened id happily pay a extra ten quid even on a normal for that!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
can see where you are coming from completely! but even if people know the other reps are £25 screened and then the babies are £10 screened id happily pay a extra ten quid even on a normal for that!
But would you pay an extra 25 on a normal baby for a full parasitology?!

I think we have pretty much decided any adults we sell we will have a full parasitology done on them and maybe add a little on the price and a little comes out our pocket.

The babies I think we will do a basic faecal screen as standard and a further crypto screen on request. Our babies are effectively in quarantine anyway. They are always dealt with before adults, have their own separate food, and hygiene between all our leos is high.

Its just when you are selling leos you get messed about so much, it would be easy for someone to demand a full para and then never respond to a pm again, then you are forced to increase the price a bit anyway.

I'd love to foot all the bills myself but my pockets aren't that deep lol!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Bump. Would like to hear what people think if/once they've used them?

·
Registered
16,413 Posts
Looked at the price list and I see the faecal screen and full screen.

So what is done in a plain faecal screen and what more is done in the more expensive one?

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
So what is done in a plain faecal screen and what more is done in the more expensive one?
plain/flotation feacal checks for worm/parasite eggs etc and so could help prevent things like this happening ~ http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizards/282045-fecals-not-important-think-again.html

the more expensive test is an immunofluorescent antibody/stain test which checks for smaller coccidia etc and especially (and more importantly imo) crypto ~ http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizards/267424-how-widespread-crypto-uk-leopard.html
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/lizards/196996-reptilian-cryptosporidiosis.html

·
Registered
4,145 Posts

So is it £25 for a full paraite test or £50? I'm getting confused. And do you have to go through your vets or do you just email them asking for the jiffy bag etc?

EDIT: What method of payment can you use also?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
So is it £25 for a full paraite test or £50? I'm getting confused. And do you have to go through your vets or do you just email them asking for the jiffy bag etc?

EDIT: What method of payment can you use also?
Its £25 + VAT for the full parasitology test - I was referring to if I added the cost onto the price of a normal hatchling etc, I would have to charge about 50 quid for the leo or it just wouldn't be affordable for me to do.

If you e-mail or ring letting them know what you want to do they will send you the kit, if you're not sure which test you want ring and ask their advice, they really are very approachable and Im sure would be happy to help you.

Regarding paymeny - they send you an invoice which Im sure I read needs paying by the 21st of the following month (wil have to check that though lol), I've not received mine yet but I presume I will pay by card over the phone or send them a cheque.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
783 Posts
on the submission form what would be the box to tick for a plain fecal and what would be the box to tick for a full parasitology??
these are the options for reptiles:
REPTILE HAEMATOLOGY
REPTILE PROFILE 1
REPTILE PROFILE 2
CHELONIAN SCREEN
HERPES VIRUS PCR
MYCOPLASMA PCR
ADENOVIRUS PCR
PMV SEROLOGY

ta

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
on the submission form what would be the box to tick for a plain fecal and what would be the box to tick for a full parosity thingy??
these are the options for reptiles:
REPTILE HAEMATOLOGY
REPTILE PROFILE 1
REPTILE PROFILE 2
CHELONIAN SCREEN
HERPES VIRUS PCR
MYCOPLASMA PCR
ADENOVIRUS PCR
PMV SEROLOGY

ta
You want to look under microbiology section, not reptiles - you will find full parasitology there.

For the faecal screen see one of my previous posts, there is a section at the bottom for 'other tests not listed'. I just wrote it in there : victory:

·
Registered
783 Posts
You want to look under microbiology section, not reptiles - you will find full parasitology there.

For the faecal screen see one of my previous posts, there is a section at the bottom for 'other tests not listed'. I just wrote it in there : victory:
:lol2: thanks, yehh i just read that. should have read the whole thread before posting this really...oops :whistling2:

its really good though, our vet tried to charge us 40pound per leo!!!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Ok guys, just a bit more info for you - the faecal screen doesnt just cover worms, they also look for protozoan, flagellates, coccidia etc, basically everything except crypto, and there is a separate test for that, although they have told me it is better to do a full parasitology if you suspect a problem.

All results are sent by email, but if you wish to provide test results with the sale of an animal (as we intend to do) they will send out hard copies on request. (you just need to write on the submission form - hard copy required)

hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I cant believe this isnt a sticky yet. It needs bumping to keep it on the first page, hopefully it will be stuck soon

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
i keep trying to bump it up with additional info lol!

I don't know how you go about making this into a sticky.

any ideas?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
why dont we all just shout sticky??
ill give it a go...

STICKY!!!!!!!!!!!
do you think that worked??:blush:
Doesnt seem to have worked Jordan :lol2:
I'll try pming a mod, see if that helps!

·
Registered
9,392 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Excellent find :no1:. My rep vet is trying to charge £57 for a fecal!!!!!!! Worst thing is that they are probably sending it to this lab anyway and pocketing the difference. Do they supply buckets for a Royal turd?

Shame I didn't think of this 3 years ago. Got all the kit at uni. Could have made a fortune :mf_dribble:.

But would you pay an extra 25 on a normal baby for a full parasitology?!
Yes. Most definately if it meant that my pet was going to live a full and happy life.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts