Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local rep' shop for some supplys today, and this young kid came in carrying what looked like an empy tank. He then asked if anyone wanted to buy a spider. i asked what it was and he had no idea, after a close look I realised it was an adult pink toe (which was next T on my list). I asked how much and said just give a fiver. looked in my pocked and only had three quid, so he gave it to me for that. Cheap as chips.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Bargain mate, you jammy git, is it Avicularia avicularia?

I dont even think i know anyone that could beat that bargain.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
cage looked empty? arnt pink toes on the large side? considering ive seen slings for £19 i think you got a cracking little deal there mate

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, its a Avicularia avicularia and is about 4.5 - 5inch leg span at the minute. The tank was completly empty (and that includes substrate), all there was in the tank was this poor arborial spider with nothing to climb besides the plastic tank. I took him/her home and placed into another container while I fully cleaned the terr' and added hides and hight for it to climb, and obviously substrate and a small water dish. give it good spay and put in 3 hoppers. Next mornig s/he looks happy, has eaten and started webbing.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention that she is HIGLY aggrressive too, so I'm guessing she has been treated pretty bad. I didn't even need to take the lid fully of and she was flicking hairs like mad. I went to move her along a little with a wooden ruler and bang! She struck at it with no warning. After I finally got her to move into the other containr she had struck another 3 or 4 times.

I hope she is going to be ok, and the stress she must of got off the idiot who I got her off will wear off in time.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
it should wear off in time spiders tend to have a very bad memory...

sounds like a very aggressive spider didnt think pink toes were that aggresive? at least it can recover now in a better enviroment good luck with the little bugger

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Sounds like she was well worth it though, do you name your spiders? I think she should be called Penelope :D Penelope pitstop likes pink :D Plus my mum always says if something is nasty or ugly you should name it something beautiful. She tried to get me to name my Don Vito the bosc Dandelion :shock:

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pinktoes are not normally agressive no, I don't personally handle my T's unless there is no other option but I've seen pinktoes been handled all the time by friends who own them. Not this one though, its mental, lol.

Yes, I always name all of my animals and I do the same, I name them something nice. My emperor is named Baby and my Chili rose is named Ellie. I'm still thinking of a name for this one, I like to name them something that means something to me in some way. (sad, I know, lol).

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Avic avics are not normally aggressive, its more likely down to the fact that its not anywhere near to its normal living conditions (eg we dont live in water so wed be a bit narked if someone kept us in a plastic box full of water all the time), plus dont forget its probably been messed about with and been pushed from pillar to post without anytime to settle down properly, get to know its surroundings and it probably didnt have enough heat or humidity.

All these factors could be a good indication as to why its a bit snappy, give it time, good care and proper regular feeding itll become a normal a avic again.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yer, I know for a fact that the poor thing was kept with little or no humidity and wasn't kept with any heat besides genaral central heating. I'm now also pretty sure its a male due to the size of the abdonum compared to my friends female. Also it looks about to shed as its gone very dark, I know they are dark normally but its pink toes have also gone almost black too. With the correct humidity and hoping for a good shed, then maybe I will be able to accuratly sex the poor thing.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
u know in france they apparently dont name their pets as they arent kept for comany, just as a hobby and to research. not found another country who has that attitude towards animals yet though and I play online games so i talk to dutch, italian, swedish, germans, greeks, laods of places, and they all name their pets. i couldnt imagine not naming mine :p

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats just wrong not naming them, TBH i think its kinda disrespectful to the animal. I sometimes take a few weeks to come up with a name but I always come up with one in time.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
yeah im just trying to think of a good one for my desert scorp at the mo, my imperial is called "Sirius" as he's black and in the film harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban, the name sirius black caught on. I knew my son watching those would come up good one day :lol:

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sirius ay, thats a very good name, well done to your son. How about Zeus for your desrt hairy. Good name and kinda represents the way s/he fed for the first time.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Zeus, good thinking i like that one. Zeus it is. cheers mate.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No probs mate, my pleasure. any more animals you want naming? lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts