Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Snake flavoured powerade sounds ace!! Dragons den here I come!!

Reactions: hellocharlieboy

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Lol. Your obsessed with that, I'm gunna buy you a crate of it for Christmas!! Lol

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I'm a bit concerned about the widescale use of powerade as a rehydration solution. This is for a number of reasons.

Firstly, if a snake needs this sort of thing regularly, there is something wrong with how it is being kept.

If it is a new snake (possibly a rescue, or a mistreated animal), the first thing should be to take it to the vet.

I'm not even sure I understand why powerade will work if it's not being drunk by the snake. However, I'm prepared to accept that an isotonic solution will certainly be better than plain water if it is taken up by the snake.

I'm more concerned by the other properties of powerade, such as the very low pH. Diluting it with water won't make a huge difference to the pH. Because of the sugar and salts in the drink, it has a high buffer capacity, so resists changes in pH. If you have a snake with burns, or any other skin problem, soaking them in an acidic solution is not the best thing to do.

Sorry - I'm aware that this post will probably be unpopular, but I wanted to add my thoughts to the issue.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm a bit concerned about the widescale use of powerade as a rehydration solution. This is for a number of reasons.

Firstly, if a snake needs this sort of thing regularly, there is something wrong with how it is being kept.

If it is a new snake (possibly a rescue, or a mistreated animal), the first thing should be to take it to the vet.

I'm not even sure I understand why powerade will work if it's not being drunk by the snake. However, I'm prepared to accept that an isotonic solution will certainly be better than plain water if it is taken up by the snake.

I'm more concerned by the other properties of powerade, such as the very low pH. Diluting it with water won't make a huge difference to the pH. Because of the sugar and salts in the drink, it has a high buffer capacity, so resists changes in pH. If you have a snake with burns, or any other skin problem, soaking them in an acidic solution is not the best thing to do.

Sorry - I'm aware that this post will probably be unpopular, but I wanted to add my thoughts to the issue.
it should never be used for skin conditions, only as a emergency rehidration procedure. For skin issues I use only Camrosa which can be found on their own website, best stuff ive ever bought!

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
it should never be used for skin conditions, only as a emergency rehidration procedure. For skin issues I use only Camrosa which can be found on their own website, best stuff ive ever bought!
I didn't suggest that it should be used to cure a skin condition, but one of the things I've seen it proposed for is rehydration following burns.

I should add that I'm not saying it doesn't work, but simply that it shouldn't be needed very often and that, usually, a vet should be consulted anyway if it's needed.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
A lot of places seem to be selling it off cheap at present, this could basicly be a end to it selling in the uk..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts