Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I want to get a carpet/boa, and want to house it in a viv (or RUB in a viv at start) however I don't really want to spend ~100 plus on a pet shop viv, but am not particularly confident of building one myself! Anyone know anyone in the Yorkshire area with second hands/builds them?

Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
Yep keep checking the classifieds or ebay etc, something usually for sale cheap in there.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha, alright guys enough bragging about your empty vivs! Go find some snakes to put in them! Think I'll take a look on ebay, I'm slightly averse to building my own as I'm pretty sure I'll come back on day to find that a hatchling has forced the walls apart :lol2:.

·
Registered
13,987 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
building your own viv is really not hard and much cheaper than buying a viv. i have built all my vivs and i built one this weekend for £45 in about 2 hours. b&q cut the wood to size for a small fee (£1.50 for all the wood for my last viv)

What size viv did you build?

Did £45 include the cost of the glass?

·
Registered
11,670 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
What size viv did you build?

Did £45 include the cost of the glass?
£45 for 18mm chipboard cut to size. no glass yet, but the viv is about 42 inches by 24 inches by 22 inches. the last viv i built was the same dimensions and it cost less than £70 total and i used ply which costs more than chipboard. i think an 18mm thick sheet of 2 x 6 chipboard is under £9

·
Registered
849 Posts
Gumtree worth a shout got a 2ft off it for button and the viv came with a couple of hides and a heat mat. cheers.:2thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have always been really worried about buying 2nd hand vivs just due mites etc, I would always clean it etc but I might have to consider it would be cheaper.:2thumb:

·
Registered
376 Posts
We got some great ones off of here in the classifieds as I am sure others have and may I also suggest you join your local Freecycle group (google it) they are given away free of charge (gives it away in the name) but worth looking as we do and we have seen a few through there. Eblag is always good for a few as others have mentioned.....

Not sure i helped but still hope you sort it soon.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
£45 for 18mm chipboard cut to size. no glass yet, but the viv is about 42 inches by 24 inches by 22 inches. the last viv i built was the same dimensions and it cost less than £70 total and i used ply which costs more than chipboard. i think an 18mm thick sheet of 2 x 6 chipboard is under £9
Cool.

Suppose once the woods been cut your sorted.

What kind of screws do you use? MDF/Conti/Standard.

Also do you need anything extra apart from wood, screws, glass, runners, and sealer?

Vents maybe?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Cool.

Suppose once the woods been cut your sorted.

What kind of screws do you use? MDF/Conti/Standard.

Also do you need anything extra apart from wood, screws, glass, runners, and sealer?

Vents maybe?

Cheers
not sure what kinda screws i used. they were just regular screws i think. i used hinged acrylic doors instead of sliding glass. i didnt use vents. i drilled about 60 holes into the sides at the top. the gecko has been in its viv for a year and is happy. has recently gone off her food, but that isnt due to the viv, and my corn is in a different viv i built the same way with no problems also

1 - 20 of 21 Posts