Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love a pet chemeleon, i would like to do as much research as possable.
If any one can help me on all the info, like where they live , how many, food, cleaning, handling, equipmemt needed / lighting ?? heating ? and the normal price for one and if any are for sale , that will be great :D

overall price for chemelon and essentials

thank you

Amy

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
hello!!! welcome to the forum!!1
have no idea!!! lol want oen though

not best starter lizards though tbh..

good luck!!

people wil post soon with bettter info than me!!

I would love a pet chemeleon, i would like to do as much research as possable.
If any one can help me on all the info, like where they live , how many, food, cleaning, handling, equipmemt needed / lighting ?? heating ? and the normal price for one and if any are for sale , that will be great :D

overall price for chemelon and essentials

thank you

Amy

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
this isnt the best place to know about them. just type in chameleon care then one of us type it all out for you.
also get some hands on experience before attempting to keep one. look after someone elses reptile or something, or get another instaed. and if you want it to stroke and handle everyday then a chameleon isnt what your after

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome,
i ahev been looking after them at college and thats why i have decided to go for one of them , as prefeered out of the other lizards.
I no there not easy, but willing to learn and and understand them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
hi amy and :welcome:

what chameleon are you wanting info on ? , as they all vary with temperments and other neccesities , the most common is the yemens or veiled chameleon , they are the most common starter cham seem very hardy , some say the ideal first cham , i have a male and female yemens and they were my first reps . have search and find out what species you want and then let us know im sure we will be able to help and advise you on basic care and setups

rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been reading more into it, and would like a veiled cham, as there easier out of the other chams to start with.
I have found a breeder who charges £35 each ? what does everyone think about that ? good ? a baby 6 weeks old

also a vivarium set up for £125 any good too ?

help ... lol

Amy

·
Registered
939 Posts
chams a good price, that's what i pay!
need to see or know whats in the setup for £125 (sounds abit cheap for everything you need though!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in the set up there is the follwing;
38G Flexarium cage measuring 16.5’’w x 16.5’’l x 30’’ h
18 inch Arcadia D3 striplight complete with starter and reflector
60W heatlamp in ceramic bulb-holder housed in 6 inch diameter polished aluminium reflector Starter supply of Repton Powder
and his also giving me some crickets to feed.

so is that worth the price, i just need a plant/branches and a humity/tempreture reader.
is that good ???
and is there anything else needed ?

Amy

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
you can see into them and i manage to keep the heat and humidity up ( i spray 3 times a day with water) and mines the 175 gallon one (4ft!):D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I heard the vervirum mesh one the best as chameleons are more prone to respiratery problems if in a glass one.

also who thinks a male or female is the best for a first time keeper of lizards, i'd like to handle a bit and nice colours ???

Amy

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
i have a male, the reason for this as they live longer. some people find chams aggressive but mine has nevver hissed or been nasty towards me :) i handle him everyday and as soon as i put my hand in his flexi he runs up my arm and sits on my shoulder and climbs up my head and face :D

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
In that set up there is no mention of a thermostat to regulate the temperatures you NEED this, it is probably the most important piece of equipment as it will stop your cham from cooking :)
(I don't mean they go in the kitchen and bake ;) )

Also you said arcadia D3 strip light I am not familiar with that type is is a repti glo bulb? you need a repti glo 10.0 for chams or reptisun (is it 5.0 that is the equivellent, or 10.0?? anyone)
As they are day basking lizards they need UV for at least 12 hours a day winter and 14 hours summer.

The flexarium is fine as long as you have a relatively warm house to start with, if you have no heating at all a wooden/melamine viv may be more of use to you and help you to keep the basking spot warm.

As for sex, yemens are reknowned for being grumpy, and non *apparently* enjoy handling, my yemen loves it and has done since he was 4 weeks old, he has never hissed or anything but on the other hand my female is a b*$ch if you know what I mean, I don't handle her at all but when I need to for medical reasons or cleaning she tries to bite everytime.
If you are looking for a 'definately handleable' lizard a cham isn't the way to go, especially not a yemen but as I said some do seem to enjoy being handled gently.
Males are more attractive and have a broader range of colours, I love my yemens and would definately have more in the future when the very sad day comes that mine pass on :)
Hope this all helps and don't forget any other questions don't hesitate to post or even PM me personally
Nikki

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have veiled (yemens) there about £50 if you get them threw a breeder but pet shops look at charging you £95, its the set up that costs the most ^_^

1 - 16 of 16 Posts