Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering what to get as my next snake. I really like carpet pythons but space is an issue. Another snake i have been interested in is children's pythons. I have had a look at a few care sheets and they seem like really good snakes. But care sheets never tell you everything so i was wondering what are they like? How active are they? Any special requirements? Common problems? Typical prices?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I love childrens pythons, however dont dismiss carpets, a male ij carpet is quite a difference from a female coastal.

I have a male 09 ij and he is about the size of smallish adult cornsnake, maybe 4ft .........with a bigger head and massive teeth lol.

he is always on show and on the go most of the time especially when i have my hands in the viv:gasp:

either way both excellent choices my friend!
: victory:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love childrens pythons, however dont dismiss carpets, a male ij carpet is quite a difference from a female coastal.

I have a male 09 ij and he is about the size of smallish adult cornsnake, maybe 4ft .........with a bigger head and massive teeth lol.

he is always on show and on the go most of the time especially when i have my hands in the viv:gasp:

either way both excellent choices my friend!
: victory:
Iv'e looked into different carpets but i just don't have the room and i wont untill i move out or my brother does.

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
Oh defiantly get a childrens! I have 5 spotted pythons which are very similair.they are fantastic!
They love food and do have a great feeding response which can unfortunatley mean they can be snappy but they do tend to grow out of the snappiness as they age.
i find they are extremely hardy and forgiving snakes,meaning they like it warm but if you keep them too cool they wont die or stress out lol.
O they are fantastic! Very active snakes and I also find them to be very nosey,always watching what's going on. I can't reccomend them enough.
One thing I will say is give them space to move around,my spotteds (again,very similair to childrens) are always on the move and love space to move.I keep mine in 3x2x2 (length,height and width) and they do great in it :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
mate i keep carpet pythons,
but this year got two children pythons, they are quality mate, mini carpets, if you not got alot of space then i go children pythons, easy to keep and only grow about 3 ft @ most.
plus it be money well spent. 50 or 60 notes each would be a good price to pay.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I have two children's pythons (hansel and gretel <3) and i love them. Eaily more active then royals, not as jumpy as corns (my corns at least) AND you can keep them in pairs!

So cute when they snuggle up x

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
Yeah i've looked into spotteds but i heard they get larger than children's pythons and i prefer the look of children's
They dont grow much bigger,my biggest spotted is 4ft :)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I had one little childrens that was a assist feeder for over a year since she hatched but she died at the beginning of the month :( She was a very active little lass though

·
Registered
655 Posts
The hardest thing will be getting a childreni that does'nt have any spotted blood and visa versa.

Both great snakes that are pretty easy to keep and if you provide a nice enclosure with perches ect they should use them.
Spotteds(maculosa) can grow slightly bigger but every animal is different so i would'nt worry about that, your only talking a few inches, just go with what you like the look of.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Children's Pythons are a fantastic little snake and fun to keep. There are no particular health issues to worry about as they are very robust, and are a great starter Python, although hatchlings can be tricky to get feeding on rodents....once they start though, they don't stop! Do make sure you get a well started hatchling and you should have no problems. Spotted Pythons are larger, but still a small Python, but hatchlings can be snappy for a good year or so before they calm down.

Stimsons Python and Pygmy Pythons complete the family, these are more difficult to get hold of but fantastic little snakes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts