Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Chilean Rose that i got in june 06, it was doing ok, eating well and shed once in september 06, after shedding it started eating again but stopped in november 06 and hasnt eaten since, it is still drinking and moving around every now and then but when i try to feed it, i drop the locust/cricket in and when it gets near the T, he lifts his front legs in a defensive/aggresive way and runs away, i thought it might be the time of year at first but its now been about 10-12 weeks.
the T is roughly 4-5 inches from front right leg to back left leg, I'm not sure on its age, do they go off food when they are reaching maturaty(sp), it is in a 20x10x14 (wdh) inch tank with 3 inch deep soil type substrate, it has two fake plants for decoration and an upturned plant pot for a hide, it has a heat mat under 1/3 of the soil so it doesnt get to cold at night, but it spends most of its time off of the mat behind the plant pot.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have a Chilean Rose that goes off her food sometimes, she can go about 4 weeks at a time then all of a sudern start eating about 2-3 locusts,
could yours be coming up for another shed? does she look very shabby looking? is her abdomen big? or does she look skinny?
have you got any pictures of her?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he looks normal, i've got pics at home on my pc, but i'm not at home, i'll post some later.
I know they can go for 4 weeks or so but he has gone nearly 16 weeks,(i've checked records since original post)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Chile Rose has not eaten since April 2006!! It is a youngster too and ate very well for the first 4 months I had it. It seems to be drinking water and is active. Weird. I am chaning the tank next month so maybe the chance of scene will inspire it to eat again.

Apparently the Rose's do fast for long periods for no reason, so a couple of months is nothing to worry about in your case.

G

·
My chile has not eaten for 20 weeks now but i know she is due a molt at some stage.Her last molt was in November 05 but she is an adult.I am expecting her to molt anytime soon then she should start eating again with luck.

·
Registered
383 Posts
dont stress bout it man, have had a couple t's go alotta months without food, jus mke sure theres plenty or water on offer an in its own time itll cum round

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, i went to the shop today, he said that if its defo male it could of reached maturity and might not eat again and if i take it into the shop he will try to sex it and try to give a rough age.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the man in the shop said it is deffo a male, just matured and slightly overweight, which is why he's stopped eating, we can expect around 5-6 months out of him now, but if he wasnt so big then it would only be 4-5 months.:cry:

·
Registered
204 Posts
well the man in the shop said it is deffo a male, just matured and slightly overweight, which is why he's stopped eating, we can expect around 5-6 months out of him now, but if he wasnt so big then it would only be 4-5 months.:cry:
T's in general can go a very long time with out food, for an healthy specimen, 6-9 months is not unheard of and even records of 2 year have been recorded with not feeding.

Male T's only Tend to live 3-5 years any-way (thats with most t's), but The Chilean Roses we have had (all males) still ate after maturing, but they do tend to stop feeding as in this time, they would useally be looking for females.

Our Males tend to live for 10-12 months after maturing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts