Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i want to get my 17yr old son a chile rose for xmas, he has handled them at college, so is used to them, are they the best starter spider?,is this the wrong time of year to be after a c/b one, or are most of them w/c, also is it best to get male or female, many thanks, beaned

·
Registered
650 Posts
yes they are a good first tarantular
i dont think it would be hard to get a c/b one as they are easy to breed
if you got a male and female you should get two set up as they may fight

kim

EDIT: i thought you said male and female

it would be best to get female as they live longer

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, can you please tell me at what age can they be sexed, also any ideas on best place to by one, we live in hertfordshire and most of the shops only seem to keep c/b, what prices should i be looking at, many thanks beaned

·
Registered
650 Posts
you can tel the sex of a tarantual after a few maults you tell by something in there i dont know how to do it but when isheds if you get a pic of the inside of the shed and put it up on here someone will tell you what it is

at a guess i would say between £20-40 for a chilli

i keep mine in a large fanarium which they should sell at you pet shop

hope this helps
kim

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
I agree. Buy from Lee he's fab! Ask him for a female and thats what you'll get :) Is your son planning to handle?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Lee at the Spider shop will keep you right. There are better starters in my opinion. Its just that everyone tends to start with Grammostola rosea (Chilean rose). Grammostola pulchra (Brazillian black) are fantastic. The dont fast like rosea do and worry new keepers. They are also very calm and a beautiful black colour. Grammostola aureostriata (Chaco golden knee?) are also FANTASTIC. Big calm adults with pretty gold coloured stripes on the legs.

Spidery folks dont reccomend handling. Mainly due to the dangers it puts spiders in with the possibility of dropping them. They are fairly fragile and a split abdomen from a fall will kill. They dont relate to owners so handling is uncalled for and most people avoid it.
If he wants an exotic pet to handle maybe a corn snake would be up his street? I love spiders, have a fair few, so reccomend them highly, just not for handling :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
i would highley recommend a chile rose for first spider as theyre very docile and dont get too big and they're really esy to keep hope this helps anth

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi all, thanks to everyone for the advice, i think a chile rose will be fine for him, its just something new for us, we already keep beardies, corns, a royal, tortoises and dogs, next year im hoping to get some chameleons, so our little zoo contiues, cheers beaned

1 - 9 of 9 Posts