Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a female 8 month old chilean rose, i have had her about 5 months now and she was feeding on two locust every week and sometimes even a pinky, but the last 8 weeks she has refussed to eat and has started to sit in her water bowl while full????
any advice would be really helpfull as im very worried about her.
thanks Sith

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
if she was eatting large locusts and pinkies she is not 8month old no where near,And tbh i would stick to invertebrates for food,She maybe coming upto a molt or just gone off food as for sitting in her water bowl a few tarantulas do this, just make sure she has clean water and try not too worry maybe just off food.
What temps you keeping it at?
Are you sure its female?

Brandan

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
an 8 month old G.rosea or porteri would be lucky to be half an inch in legspan so possibly slightly overfed? :p

miss approximation of age aside...and the feeding of a mouse aside...one cricket a month is more than adequate for these species so i am guessing she is overfed...maybe trying to use its natural buoyancy to support the extra weight?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
she is kept at just above room temp and its always warm in here, her humidity levels are fine.
yeah she is defo female as she produced an egg sack just before I had her, she shed when I first got her and the guy in the shop told us she was only 3months then.

just strange how her behavior has changed so quickly :(

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
an 8 month old chili does not produce an egg sack, she's a good few years..
she's Def over fed too as said above, feed crix not locusts would be my opinion also:)
and room temp is fine for them, no humidity need really, just what's already in the air, you want bone dry substrate..

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
the guy in the shop told us she was only 3months then.
:(
impossible

and the humidity levels shouldnt need to be measured as the substrate should be bone dry anyway with no extra mistings

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help, i have been going off the advice given to me in the shop when i got her.
you would think they wcould have at least told me the right age.....
thanks again :D

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Thanks for all the help, i have been going off the advice given to me in the shop when i got her.
you would think they wcould have at least told me the right age.....
thanks again :D

Please ignore all advice the shop gave you :devil:, when i bought my G.porteri i was told to take it home & spray the tank to keep it moist to keep humidity up :gasp:. It's a good job i'd done my research & knew they like a bone dry enviroment with no extra humidity. Take the advice from the experienced keepers on here, Steve has also been great & helped me out a couple of times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i will do thanks :D
they said to spray her twice a week to help when its time for her to shed.
she is a really active spider i just got worried over her not eating.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just looked at your pics m8 defo a few years old, And I would not be surprised if it turns out to be a male, pets shops no nothing at all about T's. And my G rosea at one point never eat for 5 months they do that. And never spray the tank she is in m8

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I read on a care sheet that if a T sits in its water bowl its trying to get extra humidity. It may be right, it may not but I thought I would throw that theory in there.
Also, dont worry about her not feeding - mine hasnt fed since Feb 2011 but I wont start to worry until 2013 as I know they have been recorded for not feeding for up to 2 years. Its just something rosea/porteri do (or don't as the case may be).
G. rosea/porteri are 1 of the slowest growing T's known, what you have there is a sub adult but as for age its impossible to tell. T's grow at different rates depending on temp, food amount offered, what food is offered & even sex of T. Females tend grow slower & live much longer than males probably to prevent siblings mating.
Do your own research & forget what the shop keeper said. He will try to sell you his whole stock (especially during a recession like this 1). Look at it this way, if the shop keeper is a T expert, why would he be flogging himself in a shop instead of making ground-breaking discoveries about T's? It might not even be a female, you have a 50% chance its male - you won't know for sure until it moults & sex it that way (Garlic Pickle has a good sexing guide in the FAQ stickies at the top of this section).
There are a few good experts on here so take their advice, read the care sheets & sift the wheat from the chaff. T's havn't been studied as much as other animals for as long as other animals have so there isn't as much known for certain about them. Almost every month a new species is discovered or known species re-classified so you have stepped onto a steep learning curve.
Just enjoy your new pet - you have years to learn about the 'grammy' way. It may be worth getting another T like a GBB or L. parahybana to save wasting uneaten food, the 2 I've suggested are always hungry......

Reactions: ojo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi thanks im thinking of gettin a bird eater very pretty spider :D
i have looked at the guide to sexing your spider and from the pictures she is defo a she, i have got one of her molts from when i first had her.
She is my baby lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts