Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok first things first i know nothing about spiders and to be honest not a fan at all but my daughter really wants a chilie rose.do they need to be handeled regular how often do you need to feed.and is it a good or bad idea,my daughter is 8 she comes over every wednessday and every other weekend.any advice is good thanks

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
They don't need any form of handling, and tbh, it is always best not to handle them. A chili is a great first spider (even for an 8yr old). I would advise that you keep an eye on her when cleaning and feeding as all tarantulas have venom, but it's usually pretty mild (the one in question is said to be like a bee sting).

Tarantulas don't really eat much, they only need to be fed once a week (amount depends on its size). They are also VERY cheap to keep. I worked out that it costs me less to keep my 150ish tarantulas then my 2 dogs.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
well, they are a good starter spicies but, in my optinion your daughter will get bored of this spicies because they do like to fast, one of mine hasnt eaten in just over a year, and is not accepting food, i would recommend a brachypelma spicies, they are a little bit more than a chilean rose but they do like their food, if they turn down food its usually because they are about to shed their skin, i would reccomend (brachypelma smithi - mexican redknee) because they are generally fairly calm and predictable, where as chilean rose's are often unpredictable. or a (brachypelma vagans- mexican redrump are also verygood as a starter spicies, and if you want to get a realy cool spider in my optinion any pinktoe ( avicularia spicies ) are good they are faster than other tarantulas that i have mentioned, but they are generally calm and docile, hope this helps , also i would not recomment holding tarantulas because they are somewhat unpredictable and if you happen to drop one it will most proberably die, also think of them as fish, you dont touch them, the pleasure comes from watching them and seting up elaberate enclosures
good luck mate
george:2thumb:

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Avics imo are not a great started for an 8yr old, they are arboreal and can jump. They also need higher humidty. Also the brachy's are prone for hair flicking and can be very itchy, so I would say for someone who is 8yrs old it is best to stick with the chili (G. rosea). All a chili needs is a water bowl, a hide and food. they can even be kept at room temp if you're house is a reasonable temp. G. roseas are prone for fasting, but I personally haven't seen one die because of this.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Well, having T in the house is meant to be good for lessening your fear of spiders.

·
Banned
5,833 Posts
You or your daughter don't have to handle it......just put it in a nice escape proof tank and just sit back and enjoy.
You will have to carry out some maintenance though.....at some time but you can get all the advice you need here.
Go for it :2thumb:
You will not be sorry and your daughter will worship you
paul

·
Registered
652 Posts
with reference to the not eating, it's not too bad when you've got others to feed, but I'd imagine it would get quite annoying with all the wasted crickets and locusts when it decides to be fussy. Shouldn't be a problem though if you've got reptiles and what not that can use up the wastage

·
Banned
5,833 Posts
with reference to the not eating, it's not too bad when you've got others to feed, but I'd imagine it would get quite annoying with all the wasted crickets and locusts when it decides to be fussy. Shouldn't be a problem though if you've got reptiles and what not that can use up the wastage
Or just get more spids :whistling2: no wastage then

·
Registered
888 Posts
Do a spot clean every week or two, but a full proper clean out, 6 months to a year is fine. : victory:

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
the best way is to put a cricket tub over the spider, slide a piece of card underneath and put that in a safe place while you do the tank. Really though, they don't need much cleaning out. Get some long tweezers to pick out any cricket leftovers or other crap, and change her water twice a week or so.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't mean to put you off at all but if she only likes the species because she handled one the other day there then you can bet 100% that it will be a phase and you will be left with it. I would get her to do alot of research first so that she knows everything she needs to and then see if she wants one or if she really only wants the ' lovely tame' spider she held the other day there.

Best of luck anyway

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't mean to put you off at all but if she only likes the species because she handled one the other day there then you can bet 100% that it will be a phase and you will be left with it. I would get her to do alot of research first so that she knows everything she needs to and then see if she wants one or if she really only wants the ' lovely tame' spider she held the other day there.

Best of luck anyway
i think you are right

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
so how am i suppose to clean it out and how often is recomended
Not really necessary .. get a large pair of tweezers and just take out their poo every now and fill up the water bowl (white droppings btw.).

You just have to make sure your daughter understands that they might not eat and there is nothing you can do .. there is one known not to have eaten for two years ... every chile rose is different and they normally don't do what the books say :whistling2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts