Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a chinchilla at the end of this week, and I just want to make sure I have everything ready for him!

I have wooden toys, a wooden house, dust bath, pellet feed, and paper bedding.

I still need to get hay but I'm not sure what kind to get, which is best in your opinion?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Timothy hay is what I give mine.

Okay thankyou!
Just to let you know, the reason I'm only getting one instead of two is because he is aggressive with other chinchillas, the breeder has been trying to pair him for two years and it just never works, so she's finding someone who can give him the time he needs as he's on his own :)

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
Okay thankyou!
Just to let you know, the reason I'm only getting one instead of two is because he is aggressive with other chinchillas, the breeder has been trying to pair him for two years and it just never works, so she's finding someone who can give him the time he needs as he's on his own :)
You could always have him neutered and bond him with a female. Ive got a neutered male as one of my girls hates other girls. It took time to bond them but Im so glad I did as its lovely to see them snuggle up together :flrt:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could always have him neutered and bond him with a female. Ive got a neutered male as one of my girls hates other girls. It took time to bond them but Im so glad I did as its lovely to see them snuggle up together :flrt:
I have been thinking about that, I've been researching the risks and everything, so hopefully I can get him a friend at some point!

Thanks for all your advice :) x

Reactions: Shell195

·
Registered
589 Posts
You sound like you done lots of research (which is great! :) ) I had a couple of chinchillas a couple of years ago, there wounderful animals as long as you give them lots of love and attention. I gave mine timothy hay as well. Good luck with your little fella :D

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
You'll probably find you won't need paper bedding as they tend to just kick the bedding out of the nest box and just sleep on the bare floor. Timothy hay is what i give mine too with a small amount amount of alfalfa.They are lovely animals

1 - 7 of 7 Posts