Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a hard time having to rehome my snakes due to lack of space, interest and te fact my mam doesn't like my royal.

I'm going to get a chinchilla, i've wanted one for years and it will take up half the space 4 3ft tanks would LOL.

I've seen alot of plastic type hides, toys and cages but i thought they chew?

I'm wanting somthing like this, i will add wooden shelves, wooden chews, a fleece cosy,

is this cage ok?

and can chinchillas have a wheel or will it catch their tail?

any help would be brilliant, : victory:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi

I keep chins and wouldnt put anything plastic in they do chew, wooden shelves their toys anything infact but thats a rodent for you. As for wheels you cn buy chin safe wheels but I dont bother as mine get let out for playtimes .
Cage wise mine are in large cages and in groups I have neutered males living with my females , they are very active and the bigger the cage the better.Be warned when they sand bath everything gets covered:2thumb:. But they are lovely I love mine dearly,But you have to remember they have quite a good life span and can live up to 20 years its been reported , though I think average is 15 years.
Mine have chew blocks and fruit sticks but still eat the shelves and means I replace them often !

·
Registered
25,485 Posts
When I had chillers, this was their cage:

If you get them a wheel, it has to be a solid one... And if you don't want them to eat it, a metal solid one! *lol* But a silient spinner would work... You'd just have to replace it every now and then (most likely)...

Saying that, not ALL chins are notorious chewers... Our's were pretty good... They picked a certain spot that they chewed relentlessly and kept at it. :)

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

i have been pricing up cages, i've found a large one for just £110 so im happy paying that.
same one in pets at home is £200 :whip:

As for treats and hide, i've found some great wooden ones for a good price on ebay, should have my chin next month some time.

·
Registered
25,485 Posts
Should get at least two... ;) They like company of the chilla variety :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Agreed

mine are in a pair and a group of 4 and cant imagine mine on their own they cuddle up together and interact. My one pair dont chew as bad they have one shelf they chew, but the group of 4 they chew everything !

·
Registered
25,485 Posts
That's perfect, then!! :D Must post piccies when you get them!!! :D

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
To house a chinchilla properly would take up more space than four 3' tanks would...

We've always custom-built our chinchilla cages; there aren't many things that annoy me more than people who keep them in all-mesh cages that are far too small for them. Remember, they are highly intelligent, highly active mammals. They need a lot of space...

Amalthea's cage looks pretty nice, but I personally would be looking to give them more space, and would enclose 3 of the sides to give them a bit more security and a bit less "longing" for the freedom that they can see all around them.

·
Viva Le France.
18,842 Posts
Personally I wouldn't buy a wheel. You will have SO much more fun letting them out for exercise. They're amazing animals.

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To house a chinchilla properly would take up more space than four 3' tanks would...

We've always custom-built our chinchilla cages; there aren't many things that annoy me more than people who keep them in all-mesh cages that are far too small for them. Remember, they are highly intelligent, highly active mammals. They need a lot of space...

Amalthea's cage looks pretty nice, but I personally would be looking to give them more space, and would enclose 3 of the sides to give them a bit more security and a bit less "longing" for the freedom that they can see all around them.
Chinchillas can have a tall cage that isn't as wide because they love to climb so no a cage would take up less space.: victory:

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Chinchillas can have a tall cage that isn't as wide because they love to climb so no a cage would take up less space.: victory:
It's still got to have a fair bit of width and depth. To do it properly, you're looking at at least 3' wide and 6' tall; exactly the same size a three-cage 3' viv stack...

People who keep them in these tiny mesh cages are committing animal cruelty in my opinion.

Are you going to chinchilla-proof a room so that they can come out every evening?

·
Registered
25,485 Posts
My chillers came out every night and went back to their home when they were ready. They were never neurotic in the least and showed no signs of boredom, so in my opinion their home was perfect for them.

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's still got to have a fair bit of width and depth. To do it properly, you're looking at at least 3' wide and 6' tall; exactly the same size a three-cage 3' viv stack...

People who keep them in these tiny mesh cages are committing animal cruelty in my opinion.

Are you going to chinchilla-proof a room so that they can come out every evening?
yes i'm going to let them out.

My mam won't mind helping out with them, she hated the snakes, so she will feed them and let them out if i have to ever work late

1 - 16 of 16 Posts