Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i picked up three Chinchillas today the owner was rehoming them as the kids had lost intrest there very friendly and tame and i am in love already, all i need now is a boyfriend for the girls would love a mosiac! heres pics i snapped quickly while there were getting put back in there cage

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
aww very nice chillas have such cute faces:flrt:

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
How sweet Clare - congrats :D

I would be very tempted to find a nice standard male personally ad I much prefer standards and the range of greys they can throw out :D

Difficult to tell from the pics if they are light standards or dark beiges lol

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
aww so cute dunno if u want a baby buy we've just had a male and female baby chinchilla lol mums a mosiac dads a wilson white and the babies are grey vair cute tho heres a pic

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks the girls are like a very light grey with white splashes up the side with a tint of beige? we had chins at college and thats where i fell in love with them!!!!!

there a bit skinny for my like so going to get them on a better diet before i bring a male in i have found a website for a lady in York that breeds chins she has some pretty ones.

oh dear i can see this gettign juts as addictive as my mice and rats :whistling2:

·
Registered
25,485 Posts
I used to breed chins... :) Do miss them sometimes... Your girls are gorgeous (hetero beiges, btw) :D

You know you shouldn't breed two whites together (wilson white and mosai are different names for the same chinchilla color) as homo white is lethal...

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes :) but i could breed Beige with mosiac right? nice to know the colour its been a while since i have done anything with chin colours.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
What sized cage have you got them in... it looks a bit small?? You might want to think about putting something over the mesh on the floor as well; I've seen a lot of chinchillas with feet problems from being forced to walk over mesh.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cage is 4ft tall x 4ft wide x 3ft depth its three layers how can you tell size from pics! and it has got something on the base! i haven't run into this blind i have been after chins for years i have done research and also did ND animal care were we cared for chins

EDIT: admit their need more stuff in the cage for enrichment but i only picked them up yesterday i am going today to get stuff for them.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
yes :) but i could breed Beige with mosiac right? nice to know the colour its been a while since i have done anything with chin colours.
Yes you could. The babies could be standard, wilson white, beige or pink white. I breed chins too:2thumb:

To go back a few posts Shelley, are you the same Shelley from CU? If so nice to "see" you again :) I wondered with you having Newfoundlands.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Lol CU is a forum Chinchillas Unlimited. Male wise you could use
beige x std = beige and std babies
beige x ww = ww, beige or std babies
beige x beige = beige or homo beige babies
beige x black velvet = beige, black velvet, std or brown velvet babies
beige x pink white = beige, std, homo beige, ww, pink white babies

Usually if you want to keep the quality up ie for showing, then it is better to use stds with colours but if you want to breed pretty colours then any of the above would be good. The beiges you have look nice quality just look for a nice blocky,good quality male and you will be fine :)

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol CU is a forum Chinchillas Unlimited. Male wise you could use
beige x std = beige and std babies
beige x ww = ww, beige or std babies
beige x beige = beige or homo beige babies
beige x black velvet = beige, black velvet, std or brown velvet babies
beige x pink white = beige, std, homo beige, ww, pink white babies

Usually if you want to keep the quality up ie for showing, then it is better to use stds with colours but if you want to breed pretty colours then any of the above would be good. The beiges you have look nice quality just look for a nice blocky,good quality male and you will be fine :)
thanks for that will look for a black velvet or a Pink white then, will have a look at the forum to, i am really taken with my girls there so friendly and brilliant to watch!

·
Registered
25,485 Posts
Sorry... I wasn't very clear earlier... Somebody posted on your thread (can't be bothered to look who it was) that they bred a wilson white with a mosaic. ;) Wasn't aiming that one at you, Clare :wink:

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry... I wasn't very clear earlier... Somebody posted on your thread (can't be bothered to look who it was) that they bred a wilson white with a mosaic. ;) Wasn't aiming that one at you, Clare :wink:
oh ok i wondered if it was because i said i would like mosaic lol. went a bit crazy today and bought loads of chin toys and got them a better diet as i am not happy with the one there one so i have mixed it with the new stuff so there get used to it.
Clare

·
Registered
25,485 Posts
I love shopping for my critters, so I know what you mean!! *lol* My chins did really well on the Supa Chinchilla Excel. It's VERY high in fiber (the highest I've seen, actually), so if great for their teeth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts