Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im looking at getting a snake,
i have had a royal python for a bout a year and all was well and kep well, but had to sell it due to personal reasons,
now im looking to get another snake,
i have childrens,
i want a snake easy to handle with good temprement,
not exeding 10ft max lenth,
something where you dont have to have the temprature perfect,

any ideas would be great i have looked and i was looking at a rainbow boa!!
they really nice
:D

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
rainbow boas are a little harder to look after than a royal IMO...

Why wouldn't you be able to get the temps right is one question I would ask??

Rainbows need high humidity and temperatures that need to be fairly constant. If you want something up to 10ft a common boa would suit, BCI. There temp requirements are not bad and you won't have problems feeding one of them! Failing that you can look at Carpet pythons, any rat snake (taiwan beauty :wink: ), hogg island boas list is pretty much endless

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not really experianced with temprature control much, i had a royal and the temprature for that was not hard to do, but i dont want to get sometheing where it has to have tempratures to the grade, i was looking a at a boa will see,
thankyou for your response :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi Skullysmagic

Just a suggestion. With modern ceramic heating bulbs / heat mats and the new generation of thermostats (ie the habistat range there is no skill or experience in maintaining temperatures espesially when used with a good reliable thermometer).

Before adding any snake to your viv - set the temp range that the species requires based on the digi thermometer rather than the dial on the thermostat - leave for a few days to check that the thermostat is doing its job well. Then collect snake.

I am sure you would prefer to get the snakes environment correct and then you can choose whatever snake you like.

I would avoid a RB until you are confident with the basics.

Best of luck.

Loads of people on here ready to help. :D Don't worry about asking newbie questions - we all have done it. :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i do like the comman boas ever since i held one at a reptile center so will probally go for that :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Skully just curious, where do you live? As everyone said here temperature control is a doddle with a ceramic which has a guard and a habistat. A couple of years ago we went to South Africa (for the second time different coast) and we stayed at a place where the lady housed her burm outside in a custom built house - well it was in the Karoo - but she still had to have heating for Adam for the 'winter' nights. Dogs wish I live there :wink:

·
Registered
95 Posts
You've said you want a snake smaller than 10ft but now you are saying you want a common boa :? they can grow to 12ft, i reckon you'd be better off with a rainbow boa

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
If you’re not confident with the basics then I would suggest that you stay away from Rainbow Boas, the humidity is even harder to control than the temps. And ten foot is probably bigger than you think, a ten foot snake can be very dangerous to an inexperienced keeper and as someone has already said, even common Boas can get larger than that. Why don’t you look into some different carpet pythons, Irian Jayas and Murry Darlings in particular don’t get too large and are imo easier to care for than RB's. Although as with all snakes, there is no guarantee with their temperaments.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I really really don't mean this to be an inflammatory point. But in all honesty (just looking out for reptiles in general) I don't think any tropical snake would be suitable until basic conditions/environment can be met.

I am really sure that there will be lots of very helpful replies if skullysmagic needs help with the set up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have had a royal python and did well with thet even getting it to feed when it was being stubborn, so i do know a little bit and how they can be, when i got my python i got to know what she liked and dissliked, i suppose this is the same for most snakes, i have got a few in mind but i will go have a talk with my local reptile shop see what they think, i may even get another royal!!!
im from southampton area so if anyone selling anything like a boa or python near let me know in 2 weeks, i would like a baby so i can bring it up myself and it will get used to me and the people arround me, thankyou for all the help and advise i have recived :D

·
Registered
641 Posts
Rainbows are a bit more tricky than bloods or common boas. If the care for a borneo put you off that, I wouldn't recommend getting a rainbow boa...

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
well if you had a royal i would get another maybe another morph. I love royals there lovely and hoping to get one :D
But the only person to choose the right snake for you, well, is you.

·
Registered
324 Posts
with rainbow boas, one has to be quite vigilant to the temperatures of the viv. and also of the humidity level. You must also constantly raise and lower the humidity levels. A higher maintanence snake to a royal by a long shot. But a lot of fun to keep, i had a BRB and LOVED it, sadly it passed away while in my care, was about 8 years, repitory failure...

Anyway, i would recomend a milk snake. Children love them and, depending on the type, they get over 6 feet in length (peublan and nelson milk snake) and have very lovely colours. Your choice, mate. I started with a corn snake myself and loved it, in a matter of weeks i had 3 corns and a lovely king snake...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Which? Hondurans?

Never heard of pueblans getting that big! Don't know much about nelsons though...

You got a nuclear power station or something round your way?? :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Acctually HUGE bblonde moment... i'm getting my kings mixed up with my milks... Yes as the above gentleman has stated, neither of the snakes i mentioned reaches that length... the houndran milk snake does... sorry

1 - 20 of 25 Posts