Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have 2 vivs waiting for new occupants, the smaller of the two is approximately 30"x12"x18" (length, depth, height) and the larger one is approximatly 48"x18"x18".

I am new to keeping lizards.

My requirements:
- active during the day
- want to keep more than one in each viv, so small lizards

So far I am leaning towards phelsuma spp, particularly the Gold Dust Gecko for the smaller viv, which I think would be large enough for a pair?
An alternative is to use it for my baby goliath tarantula when he(/she) grows up.

For the large viv, I am thinking it would be nice to keep a group of small species. Ideally mixed species.
So far I have come to thinking of Anoles & frogs in the big viv, are there any compatible spp of Anoles/frogs? ie. not going to try and eat each other!
Maybe 2 or 3 Anoles and a couple of frogs.

Any thoughts and feedback on my ideas here appreciated!
Species selected suitable for a lizard novice?
Am I being too ambitious with plans for big viv?

Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
cant reccomend any species for your tanks, but i will say one thing, don't bother mixing species, there is a number of reasons behind this. temperature/humidity requirements will be different for most things. parasites/illnesses - some species are prone to parasites/diseases that other species will happly carry with no ill effect. they will probably not get on resulting in fighting/bullying, it's just generally not a good idea and i am sure other people will agree with me.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
i agree with xraverxbabyx,
mixing species doesn't really work..have seen some lovely set ups where several species co-habit but i have seen more disasters that usually end up in sick or dead animals..ain't worth it...

there are several species that you could put in the larger tank...skinks, agamas...
Smaller one, if your thinking of arboreal geckos( as Gold Dust Geckos are) should be vertically orientated... :) [/quote]

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Apart from eating each other, there are a zilllion reasons why you shouldnt mix species... so this post may be quite long!!

1. Stress: Even if animals cohabit the same area in the wild, each species will have its own 'niche' in the environment. Without zoo sized exhibits (much larger than yours, were talking 100's of gallons) you can provide this without them over lapping. Stress effects reptiles and amphibians majorly, meaning that they can die from it. when the 2 animals cant escape each other, they will get stressed, possibly fight amplifying the effects and they will get very sick

2. Amphibians are one of the worst groups to mix because of their skin. It is very fragile meaning it tears easily from sharp bits on plants and other animals, and is semi-permeable. This means that anything incomptble with in the the tank, e.g. secretions/toxins from other species of frog, or waste products and bacteria from those anoles will get absorbed by the skin and it will get ill. This is why you have to change amphibians water daily, as they will get very ill from the ammonia and bacteria build up in the water dish!

3. Parasites. I commend you for specifiying CB only, thats SO important to me unless you are wanting to breed rare species to help their survival in the wild. Even if you go for CB, all species carry bacteria and parasites inside them, which dont harm them at all (its called symbiosis- they live in harmony with each other and can even help each other!!) however, they WILL be harmful to other species. If you mix species together, they will come into contact with these parasites and can get sick from them.

4. Competition: The 2 species will have very different hunting methods. I have Whites tree frogs, and they will sit very still and wait for the perfect moment then jump on the cricket and gulp it down. Baby bearded dragons however i've seen have a much more hit and miss approach! very funny! Anole are extremely quick, and i can imagine them ruining the hunting for the frogs which could potentially mean bad things for one of the species.

5. Conditions: All species have slightly different temp, humidity etc requirements which you wont be ble to provide for in a mixed viv. Therefore one species will always be living in imperfect conditions which will eventually lead to problems.

The problems with mixed species tanks often dont present themselves until the owner assumes all is ok. These things are like timebombs that can wait years before one or all of the species dieing out or getting really sick. Its just not worth it.

I hope that was useful and not too much hard work!! haha im a biologist!!

As for occupant suggestions... those tanks are both descent sizes for some good looking geckos and frogs... unfortunatly most of the smaller options are nocturnal. I keep Whites tree frogs and their hilarious. Depending on your schedule, nocturnal might not be too bad, as mine are out most of the time in the evening when we watch tv so i get plenty of time with them. I'm also getting Crested Geckos, which are amazing looking and really funning acrobatic little lizards. They'd both fit nicely in tanks that size.
Most lizards are pretty terretorial it seems to me, so you can keep more than 1 male in a tank. however, females can largely get along fine in small groups, although with all tanks you have to make sure all are getting to feed and one isnt dominating or bullying the others too much - all populations have a hierachy afterall!!
Frogs on the other hand seem to do just fine in groups, i have 3 whites in my viv, 1.2.0 i think at the moment!! Frogs are fantastic pets so i'd have to recommend them. And although they look pretty small in their tank, believe me they do need the space you have as they can jump pretty far to hunt and you dont want them bashing their noses all the time on the glass.

If you like frogs as you said, i;d go for a nice group of Whites. They're a good size, change colour, have great personalities, dont need much in the way of tricky light and heat systems (go for around 25-30 C and about 50-60% humidity and they'll do fine - i dont even use a heating system in the summer and a little heat mat during winter) Whites are also pretty hardy to mistakes which inevitably occur and are the most tolerant of handling.
Species i'd avoid for 1st time frogs have to be the Red eyed tree frogs, as theyre notoriously fragile and often die without explanation and the poison darts, as they are apprantly pretty tricky and you have to culture your own fruit flues (yuck! haha)

Day geckos are beautiful but i've read many places that they're not for beginners. You cant handle them at all as their skin is so fragile it'll scar with the slightest rub and they're really quick so capturing an escapee would be a mission. Theyre also pretty intolerant when it comes to temp fluctuations and need a really good source of UVB which can be costly. I've also read that they dont do well in groups.I'd love to get giant day gecko (grandis) one day but im waiting till ive got more experience till i attempt it. If you like lizards go for a nice Crested gecko - theyre arboreal so more interesting to watch than leopard geckos (yawn) and are pretty resilient to mistakes.

Just my 2 cents... which actually turned into about 50!! haha sorry if i sent you to sleep!

Sarah

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, mixing species is out (at least until I have a lot more space and experience with reptiles/amphibians).

Regarding the point about day geckos being fragile, I'm not too concerned about not being able to handle whatever animal(s) I get. I have the rats for playing with ;) Like my spiders/scorpions, these animals would be for observing. Kind of like a fish tank I guess.

Another lizard that is to be considered...Rankin dragon, though I feel the bigger of the 2 vivs may be too small for a pair?

·
Creator of RFUK - Now Retired.
12,466 Posts
Yeah, Rankin Dragons would be a good way to go, two would be fine in a viv of that size :) the dragons are a cool lizard too, great little personalities.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
You long 48*18*18 I think would happliy house 2 female bearded dragons.... and as starter lizards you cannot beat them. Some people will reccommend geckos but they are a little fragile and there tails can fall off.

Beardies are bright, alert, awake during the day, freindly and just overall superb starter lizards as long as you got the space, and you do!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts