Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i got a empty terrarium 120x100(h)x50 and want to fullfill my dream and finally get a monitor. I though about v. tristis orientalis but wonderd if i can put there something more beautiful like prasinus for example. I have few years of experience with lizards so i think i could deal with them properly. Hope u can help me choose the best monitor for me, so if you think about something to that terrarium please let me know ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
v. tristis orientalis is a black head monitor, correct? If I remembered correctly and it is, then you'll need the tank to be a minimum of 4ft(L)x2(W)x4ft(H) from what I've read.... but that sounds too small to me... :hmm: I would say the minimum size enclosure for one black head monitor would be 4ft(L)x3ft(W)x5ft(H), similar to a chinese water dragon's size requirements.

I'm assuming you are describing the dimensions in centimeters? If so, that's about 4ftx3ft(H)x2ft. It's reasonable but since they are arboreal, I'd go with something higher than 3ft.

As for a prasinus, I assume you mean the Emerald Tree Monitor (V. Prasinus). Which grows to be 30-39 inches long (2-3 ft). Similar size. Based on this, I'd go with the same minimum of 4ft(L)x2ft(W)x5ft(H). Larger is better.

Both kinds are arboreal and need lots of climbing space, so 6 feet tall is the best way to go if not larger. These kinds of lizards use every inch of space they have access to, so the bigger the habitat, the happier they will be.

Although, please, correct me if I'm wrong on the dimensions of your tank. I'm assuming you went by centimeters based on the fact it probably isnt 150ft long and 100ft tall... :notworthy::hmm:

The best kind of monitor for your available tank would be an ackie. Perhaps a red ackie monitor? Their minimum enclosure sizes are 4ft(L)x2ft(W)x2ft(H), but again, bigger is better.

·
Registered
900 Posts
That is not big enough for any Species in my opinion. Other might think differently
I agree, even the smallest dwarfspecies needs more space.

I'd suggest following the adjust German welfare standard if you want to know minimal enclosure sizes. It's calculated by mulitlping the SVL of the animal and is a good rule of thumb to follow. The minimal measurements for the species you mentioned are: V. tristis 150x100x150 and V. prasinus 150x100x200.

The enclosure is also unsuitable for V. acanthurus, it simply doesn't have enough floorspace for any dwarfspecies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I though it could be to small :/ in that case the monitor would have to wait till i get some more space and in this tank i would put a chameleon once again ;)

Thanks for assuring me with that info ;)

·
Registered
439 Posts
No worries mate.

GhostDog - That is a bit small for a lot of the Tree monitor species OMI I kept mine in a 2(D) x 7(H) x 5(L) For a trio

1 - 6 of 6 Posts