Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bearded dragon has some hench claws, hes a exitable guy to so when hes out he likes to run around, when to trys to run places hes not meant to i have to grab his and he always kicks his legs and cuts me open, and its getting abit tiresome :p is it posssible to do this/get it done? cheers in advance :D

·
Registered
784 Posts
No, I learned from my mistakes. You could try to provide a rock/slab in vivarium which will trim the nails down by climbing on it. : victory:

·
Registered
34 Posts
hee hee ya wanna try doing that with a tegu, now there's some claws.................ouch ouch ouch

0.0.1 Argentinian Black & White Tegu
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons
0.2.0 Leopard Gecko's

·
Registered
576 Posts
ive clipped mine before but its hard and quite scary cause you dont want to hurt it but rock/slab definly a better idea

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
It's easy to trim their claws using nail clippers. If they've got to the point of being so long they are hurting you then having rocks in the viv won't wear them down enough. You'll need to trim them then have rocks in their to keep them shorter.

Best tip I can give you is to try trimming them first thing in the morning before the heat/lights go on. This way the beardie will be too cool to make any sudden moves. Also examine the claws closely first so you can be confident on the positioning of the quick (blood line in the nail), and feel able to trim the nails without cutting too close to it.

Or your local rep vet can do it for you.

Jenny

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I clip my beardies too. Perfectly fine if you know what to look for. I agree with dickvansheepcake regarding best time to do it is in the morning. Also, another little tip for you, when doing it have some corn flour to hand. If you do clip the nail and accidently clipe the "quick" put it in corn flour, this will act as a natural "coagulant" and stem the blood flow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts