Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

got given a 3x2x2 viv today from a work mate with loads off accessories with it (bowls, braches, fake ivy, etc) so about to start cleaning it.

it used to have either a water dragon or chameleons in it about 1.5yrs ago but been in his garage since then. I'm going to be puttin a Boa in it so wasnted to know what to clean everything with. I was going to use soapy water for the viv itself and for all the accessories was going to put them all in the bath with diluted bleach with hot water. if this is wrong can you please give me a warning, cheers!

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
It's OK, but make sure you get rid of all the bleach afterwards.

F10 disinfectant is safer, but more expensive.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
If you buy the concentrated F10 it sounds expensive, but actually works out really cheap once its diluted. And it is very safe for reptiles. Some other disinfectants have pine as an ingredient. For second hand stuff I tend to wash and scrub with very hot water and washing up liquid, rinse with boiling water and let it dry. Then I clean it all again with F10. For a second hand viv, I would let it dry again, then give it all a good spray with Callingtons just in case there any mites/eggs hanging around, as I first had mites years ago from a second hand viv.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I give things a good scrub with plain old soap and hot water, then soak every thing in Miltons and bake wood decor that will fit in the oven or leave things to air dry.
Giving them a spray with callingtons is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Milton is a good idea and not expensive, either. Anyone else use it?

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Milton is good, but I think F10 kills more stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.