Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just wondering how others clean out their Geckos/Lizards etc.

What do you use, how often and what have you.

I use very very diluted bleach water for hides etc which I leave to soak and then rinse loads. I then clean the viv's with a reptile disinfectant I get from livefoods.co.uk.
I do this every 2 weeks.

Just being nosy really at what others do.

Been thinking of getting a jet washer so I can then take viv's in garden to give them a really powerful rinse out!

Thanks.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
what you do already seems good to me.

I do different ways depending on the size of the viv and its occupants but..
Cleaned out our boscs viv the other day ,55x24x27
Took out Savvy, emptied all the rocksand logs and took them up to the bath, giving them a scrub with bleach but only mildy as i didnt fancy a 2 hour rinse job and its only her stuff and they werent nor have ever been soiled on.
Scooped out all the soil and threw it in the garden, hoovered out what was left.
didnt have any normal dissinfectant so i used a diluted mix of DETTOL [for cuts and stuff but it is a disinfectant] wiped over everywhere in the viv.
Then i got some warm clean water and rinsed from top to bottom and dried everywhere.
Quick rinse over again, not soaking this time and dried a second time.
stuck my head in and took a deep breath... didnt smell of anything atall which i always like lol.

put in new substrate.. noticed it was damper than i hoped so i quickly cleaned the glass doors with a mix of vinega and water, first time ive used this mix and it worked well... stunk out the room mind.
rinsed and dried the glass..realised the tracking was dirty so went and cleaned them...hardest part that was.
put glass doors in and closed them and put all the heating back on to help dry it while i went to the bathroom and rinsed the rocks and logs off.
carried them downstairs.
boiled the kettle for the fifth time, checked on savvy for the tenth time, wiped the sweat of my forehead for the 50th time.
stressed about sussing how to decorate the viv including spending a good ten mins trying to get a cushion cover on a cushion [for savvy....i know its sick]
put everything in, including new..even larger cat litter tray/
Faffed around with the stat to make sure it was still right, same for the basking spot etc...
Put savvy back in....
Total time 2 hours 20 minutes.... trese came in the door i went to say hi... came back in and savvy had came back out [2ft jump] and was walking around the lounge...put her back...
finally had my coffee and a fag...

Im not FAST at cleaning vivs.... not atall lol.. but i do it well... but im never happy with my work either.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DEANandTRESE said:
what you do already seems good to me.

I do different ways depending on the size of the viv and its occupants but..
Cleaned out our boscs viv the other day ,55x24x27
Took out Savvy, emptied all the rocksand logs and took them up to the bath, giving them a scrub with bleach but only mildy as i didnt fancy a 2 hour rinse job and its only her stuff and they werent nor have ever been soiled on.
Scooped out all the soil and threw it in the garden, hoovered out what was left.
didnt have any normal dissinfectant so i used a diluted mix of DETTOL [for cuts and stuff but it is a disinfectant] wiped over everywhere in the viv.
Then i got some warm clean water and rinsed from top to bottom and dried everywhere.
Quick rinse over again, not soaking this time and dried a second time.
stuck my head in and took a deep breath... didnt smell of anything atall which i always like lol.

put in new substrate.. noticed it was damper than i hoped so i quickly cleaned the glass doors with a mix of vinega and water, first time ive used this mix and it worked well... stunk out the room mind.
rinsed and dried the glass..realised the tracking was dirty so went and cleaned them...hardest part that was.
put glass doors in and closed them and put all the heating back on to help dry it while i went to the bathroom and rinsed the rocks and logs off.
carried them downstairs.
boiled the kettle for the fifth time, checked on savvy for the tenth time, wiped the sweat of my forehead for the 50th time.
stressed about sussing how to decorate the viv including spending a good ten mins trying to get a cushion cover on a cushion [for savvy....i know its sick]
put everything in, including new..even larger cat litter tray/
Faffed around with the stat to make sure it was still right, same for the basking spot etc...
Put savvy back in....
Total time 2 hours 20 minutes.... trese came in the door i went to say hi... came back in and savvy had came back out [2ft jump] and was walking around the lounge...put her back...
finally had my coffee and a fag...

Im not FAST at cleaning vivs.... not atall lol.. but i do it well... but im never happy with my work either.
lol. Now that did make me chuckle!

Savvy sounds a real character!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BADGERS MUM said:
wouldnt know for sure but dont think bleach would be favourite,maybe milton as its baby safe and i know you can use it for small furries,hamsters rats etc,i dont do anything so dramatic,i wash water bowl daily clean up any toilets daily and just do a general wipe round once a fortnight,i could be wrong tho :roll: oh i have a gecko BTW
Yeah not i'm not really sure if bleach is a great thing, maybe will try something more diluted.

But what I do I would say is already very mild.

A bath tub filled more or less to the rim with a squirt of bleach, so it must be very diluted.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
i have used baby milton sterliser on my reps stuff and diluted white vinegar is ace for getting rid of lingering pongs caused by beardie pooh. you have to wait until the vinegar smell has all cleared up before putting the reps back in but the vivs smell like new once the vinegar smell as gone.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i use a disinfectant that is safe for all animals as long as you mix it correctly.its called trigene and its extreamly good.we use it at the vets to clean the theatre tables so its great for cleaning my vivs with. :wink:

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Trigenes good stuff, though I prefer virkon myself.

Usually I'll just "skip" out any muck whenever it needs doing, clean out waterbowls daily or every other day and do a full clean once a month. I usually use Virkon for that, or F10 if I've none around.

I tend to hoover out the aspen, its too hard to get all the bits out of a big viv any other way! Then scrub out any debris with a normal detergent (essential if you want your disinfectant to do any good) and spray on the disinfectant, leave accrding to the instructions and rinse clean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts