Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone set up a CO2 chamber from their gas hob somehow? I'm trying to save money and was wondering if anyone has tried it/managed to do it?

Cheers, Jenn

·
Registered
13,799 Posts
have you tried the bicarb and white vingegar method? they are 50p a tub/bottle from the asda and its a cheep way to `off` the furry critters compared to buying a co2 canister and regulator thingy

·
Premium Member
10,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have you tried the bicarb and white vingegar method? they are 50p a tub/bottle from the asda and its a cheep way to `off` the furry critters compared to buying a co2 canister and regulator thingy
No I haven't (how the hell do you spell haven't?! lol), does it work ok? I've only got brown vinegar in :lol2: How do you do it?

halfords sell a gas cannister for £16.99 and it lasts ages
Yes, I'm aware of that, but as stated on other threads it costs nearly £40 to set up the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The problem with the bicarb and vinegar method is its very hit and miss regarding how much to use. I don't think £40 is that much to set up a co2 chamber its very accurate and the rodents don't suffer.

I've just set one up and it works brilliantly , If your looking for a cheap quick method then spinal separation is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
There's my stupidness showing then! Sorry about that, is it not suitable for gassing critters then?

Just a note, yes the gas will kill the rodents but as it is flamable and you will have filled your gassing chamber with "gas" you have basically made a bomb just waiting for a spark to set it off blowing up the house, please don't try going any further with using mains gas :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Just a note, yes the gas will kill the rodents but as it is flamable and you will have filled your gassing chamber with "gas" you have basically made a bomb just waiting for a spark to set it off blowing up the house, please don't try going any further with using mains gas :2thumb:
Using mains gas would probably mean culling yourself as well as anything in the vicinity if it ignites.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Also quite possibly poisoning the rodents , Not to sure what effect it would have on them as far as toxicity goes but I would'nt feed them to my snakes.

·
Premium Member
10,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem with the bicarb and vinegar method is its very hit and miss regarding how much to use. I don't think £40 is that much to set up a co2 chamber its very accurate and the rodents don't suffer.

I've just set one up and it works brilliantly , If your looking for a cheap quick method then spinal separation is the way to go.
I feel like a right idiot now, why I didn't think that I'd blow myself up I don't know. You might not think £40 is much, but thats nearly a quarter of my JSA! :'(

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I feel like a right idiot now, why I didn't think that I'd blow myself up I don't know. You might not think £40 is much, but thats nearly a quarter of my JSA! :'(
I'm not having a go at you :blush: , My point is that I don't think 40 quid is too much to pay for a swift and humane end for the rodents thats all. Thats why I suggested spinal separation its quick humane and very cheap ... If you can do it that is , I could'nt thats why i invested in a co2 chamber. :2thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not having a go at you :blush: , My point is that I don't think 40 quid is too much to pay for a swift and humane end for the rodents thats all. Thats why I suggested spinal separation its quick humane and very cheap ... If you can do it that is , I could'nt thats why i invested in a co2 chamber. :2thumb:
Oh no I get you and completely agree, I'll just have to save up...hahhaa! Erm, that sounds grim I'll just wait :lol2:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Hob gas shouldn't be poisonous in itself- but as you realised, it's well-risky in other ways!:whistling2:

The cannister method really would be worth saving up for.

·
Premium Member
10,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheap method, and you can pop any surplus into an envelope and post to a friend!

http://static.bigstockphoto.com/thumbs/2/0/4/large/402687.jpg

Hope this helps:2thumb:
lol I don't think the snakes would be impressed with mousey mush!

Hob gas shouldn't be poisonous in itself- but as you realised, it's well-risky in other ways!:whistling2:

The cannister method really would be worth saving up for.
Yeah I know, I keep borrowing my friends :blush: lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts