·
Registered
4,123 Posts
i am after a care sheet and personal tips on coatimundi

• caring
  • housing
  • feeding/watering
  • ... ... ... ... ... ...
There's plenty out there with a quick google search.....that's how I prepared.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well personal tips are always better than reading loads of words :lol2:
what would your personal tips be mrcriss

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
well personal tips are always better than reading loads of words :lol2:
what would your personal tips be mrcriss
I find that reading words is probably the best way of learning new things!

My tip? Think long and hard before considering coatis! You said you wanted a loving animal that you can pet and cuddle....that's not a coati....they're way too hyper and wriggly for that.

Reactions: kellystewart

·
Registered
503 Posts
I echo what mrcriss has said. Seriously, they are insane and do not stop.

Jazmyn is on the go for 18 hours a day and it's at 100%

She is not cuddly, doesn't seek affection and refuses to use a litter tray lol. She is a sweetie pie though but IMO they are not good pets....unless you have a massive outdoor enclosure and more than 1.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
I echo what mrcriss has said. Seriously, they are insane and do not stop.

Jazmyn is on the go for 18 hours a day and it's at 100%

She is not cuddly, doesn't seek affection and refuses to use a litter tray lol. She is a sweetie pie though but IMO they are not good pets....unless you have a massive outdoor enclosure and more than 1.
I'm curious, why would people want to keep them without a huge outdoor enclosure and in a group?

For the record I'm not against keeping them. But having watched them several times in zoos surely they need to be in a group and have access to a huge enclosure to display natural behaviour?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I'm curious, why would people want to keep them without a huge outdoor enclosure and in a group?

For the record I'm not against keeping them. But having watched them several times in zoos surely they need to be in a group and have access to a huge enclosure to display natural behaviour?
Only the females need to be in a group....the males are solitary and only join the females for mating.

I know of someone that kept 1.3 coatis together. The females ganged up on the male and bit his tail off!

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
The females ganged up on the male and bit his tail off!

That kind of confirmed my suspicions really. Damage occurs with all kind of animals where the enclosure doesn't give sufficient space for the victim to get out of the way.

The enclosures I've seen in zoos contained mixed sexes with lots of trees and other vegetation etc.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
That kind of confirmed my suspicions really. Damage occurs with all kind of animals where the enclosure doesn't give sufficient space for the victim to get out of the way.

The enclosures I've seen in zoos contained mixed sexes with lots of trees and other vegetation etc.
You're making false assumptions there that the group of which I spoke was in a small enclosure......this was not the case.

All the zoos I've seen them in have actually had single sex female populations.

The male coatis are more than happy to be kept alone. They wouldn't naturally seek out the company of females in the wild until it's breeding time.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
You're making false assumptions there that the group of which I spoke was in a small enclosure......this was not the case.

All the zoos I've seen them in have actually had single sex female populations.

The male coatis are more than happy to be kept alone. They wouldn't naturally seek out the company of females in the wild until it's breeding time.
No I'm not. Think logically, and the principle applies to so many more species than coatis, if an enclosure was large enough, and configured properly the male would have enough room and hiding places to avoid the aggresion.

I state again, I'm not against the keeping of any species. As long as long s it is cared for properly. I'm sure you'd agree, allowing an animal to have its tail 'ripped off' could not be classed as being well cared for.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
No I'm not. Think logically, and the principle applies to so many more species than coatis, if an enclosure was large enough, and configured properly the male would have enough room and hiding places to avoid the aggresion.

I state again, I'm not against the keeping of any species. As long as long s it is cared for properly. I'm sure you'd agree, allowing an animal to have its tail 'ripped off' could not be classed as being well cared for.
I don't think he really "allowed" the tragic accident to take place! The "principle" will apply to any species if you give it 5 sq miles of enclosure, but that kind of space is just not available in this all too overcrowded nation of ours!:bash:

D'yer know what? I'm not going to get into a whole big discussion with you Mynki.....firstly because, like many others on this forum, I don't like you and have better things to do with my day than converse with people I don't like. And secondly because there is never any convincing you that whatever "the great Mynki" says is anything other than gospel.....which I find rather boring.

Reactions: amyjl

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
I don't think he really "allowed" the tragic accident to take place! The "principle" will apply to any species if you give it 5 sq miles of enclosure, but that kind of space is just not available in this all too overcrowded nation of ours!:bash:.
If the animals are under someones care, then they have to accept responsibility for them. Surely you would agree with that?

There are plenty of properties for sale in the UK with land for sale. So I disagree. Just check Rightmove.com. So, what is disappointing is that you are insinuating that the keepers limited space is more relevant to the needs of the species?

D'yer know what? I'm not going to get into a whole big discussion with you Mynki.....firstly because, like many others on this forum, I don't like you and have better things to do with my day than converse with people I don't like. And secondly because there is never any convincing you that whatever "the great Mynki" says is anything other than gospel.....which I find rather boring.
My question was posed to another forum member. Yet you chose to reply!? lol

I average about 1 like per four posts. I'm not sure I'm as disliked as you imply. :)

Can we see pictures of your outdoor enclosure? I am genuinely interested in the enclosures built by coati keepers after all.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Can we see pictures of your outdoor enclosure? I am genuinely interested in the enclosures built by coati keepers after all.
Repeat, I'm not entering into any further discussion with you Mynki because of your reputation for trolling around the forum looking for arguments. Now I'm off out to enjoy my weekend.

(In reply to your request above....if it came from someone I liked or even respected, then I would have no qualms in obliging. As it's you, I'm not sure it's worth the bother.)

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Repeat, I'm not entering into any further discussion with you Mynki because of your reputation for trolling around the forum looking for arguments. Now I'm off out to enjoy my weekend.

(In reply to your request above....if it came from someone I liked or even respected, then I would have no qualms in obliging. As it's you, I'm not sure it's worth the bother.)
There is no trolling Mrcriss. Remember, my question was posed to someone else. You took it upon yourself to reply and seem to struggle answering subsequent questions. You might think it's trolling as you appear incapable of answering. But I do have a genuine interest. As will many other people with an interest.

But making unsolicited, personal attacks just makes your arguments look even weaker. Sensible discussion on the subject rather than petty, childish remarks would be far better for the whole forum. Do you have something to hide? Or are my suspicions incorrect?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Remember, my question was posed to someone else. You took it upon yourself to reply and seem to struggle answering subsequent questions.

Do you have something to hide? Or are my suspicions incorrect?
I answered your original question with a fact about coati society that you choose not to believe, because Mr. Mynki has to be correct and have the final word in every situation!:bash:

The solitary nature of males is where the suffix "mundi" comes from.....so they do not need to be kept in a group. 'Nuff said!

"The word "coatimundi" ( /koʊˌɑːtɨˈmʌndi/) is a commonly used when applied to solitary adult males of N. nasua."

And I have absolutely nothing to hide, so you can stash those sordid little "suspicions" back into the darkest recesses of your mind Mynki. After all, why should I oblige you with pictures/favours/anything at all after the way I've seen you speak to people?

As a of result the plethora of private messages I received about you and your nature yesterday, I think I'm going to leave it there. Write whatever you like about me, who cares? I, and many of my friends here in the north west, know that my animals receive exemplary care, so I have nothing to prove to the likes of you!

Reactions: Slicer

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Yet you chose to reply to a message not aimed at you? And you have not answered anything at all really. Instead you have chosen to make unsolicited personal attacks in an attempt to detract from real answers and discussion. It's very childish, so I'm pleased you'll not be replying. Although I suspect you will feel the need to have the last word.

I just suspect that zoos have more of a clue than yourself. Particularly after reading your other posts on the subject. I don't believe zoo staff wrestle their animals to restrain them in a harness on a regular basis for starters!

Hopefully someone else with a more mature manner and real facts may continue the conversation.

It is disappointing to read your posts though. I was saddened when you made similar attqacks on other people who you seem to take a dislike to. The forum is so much better when it covers facts and debate, no matter how robust that might be. Everyone knows that when someone on a thread resorts to personal attacks, they've either lost the argument or don't have a clue. You may wish to bear that in mind in future.

All the best
Mynki

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I don't believe zoo staff wrestle their animals to restrain them in a harness on a regular basis for starters!
*sigh* there's no wrestling involved.

Please realise that your comments are also personal "attacks", so you can drop the worthy act mister....it's not impressing anyone.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
*sigh* there's no wrestling involved.

Please realise that your comments are also personal "attacks", so you can drop the worthy act mister....it's not impressing anyone.
There are no personal attacks from me. I just don't agree with some of your claims. But you seem to take offence if anyone has the audascity to query what you are saying. As I've never met you I don't feel able to say if I like or dislike you. However that is not relevant to anything.

Your posts give an impression though...

Anyway, this is more about me just finding a nice strong harness that i can leave on....not really the pros and cons of leaving one on. For Kenny's sake, the stress and struggles that come with getting the harness on in the first place, just aren't worth it to do it every day.

And as you seem afraid to post pictures of an outdoor enclosure and post info such as the quote above, people will have an impression in their minds. Particularly when you act in such an evasive way. It's as if you have somethng to hide. That is not a personal attack, just an observation. Forget about me and think about how it will be read by others.

Right now, you are giving a terrible impression of an exotics keeper which yiou may or may not be. If I were in your shoes I would not have made personal attacks, and shown the enclosure so people (Assuming it looks acceptable) would not think there was anything to hide.

Now reread that with an open mind as if it were written by someone else, rather than letting your prejudices get in the way. Think logically and laterally about the original question I posed to someone else, and how your little hissy fits have come across.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Right boys, let's all be friends and play nice.
This is turning into a bun fight!
And that's sad.

I'm sure mrcriss has his animals best welfare at heart and I'm sure mynki has the best intentions too.
Your personal feelings towards each other are now clouding the issue.

Rach
X

Reactions: aidey07 and Jamiioo

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
And as you seem afraid to post pictures of an outdoor enclosure
I've posted no pics partly because I know I don't need to justify myself here (life does not begin and end with RFUK....it is merely an amusement, a distraction and I don't need approval from a load of anonymous names), and also because I don't wish to give information about where I live and my property to any random local criminals stalking this site!

Maybe there shall be pics taken of my enclosures at some point (if ever the sun decides to shine in the north west), but rest assured that if I choose to post them, it will not be at the request of you Mynki!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts