13K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  em_40 
#1 ·
i am after a care sheet and personal tips on coatimundi

• caring
  • housing
  • feeding/watering
  • ... ... ... ... ... ...

#4 ·
I find that reading words is probably the best way of learning new things!

My tip? Think long and hard before considering coatis! You said you wanted a loving animal that you can pet and cuddle....that's not a coati....they're way too hyper and wriggly for that.

Reactions: kellystewart
#5 ·
I echo what mrcriss has said. Seriously, they are insane and do not stop.

Jazmyn is on the go for 18 hours a day and it's at 100%

She is not cuddly, doesn't seek affection and refuses to use a litter tray lol. She is a sweetie pie though but IMO they are not good pets....unless you have a massive outdoor enclosure and more than 1.

#6 ·
I echo what mrcriss has said. Seriously, they are insane and do not stop.

Jazmyn is on the go for 18 hours a day and it's at 100%

She is not cuddly, doesn't seek affection and refuses to use a litter tray lol. She is a sweetie pie though but IMO they are not good pets....unless you have a massive outdoor enclosure and more than 1.
I'm curious, why would people want to keep them without a huge outdoor enclosure and in a group?

For the record I'm not against keeping them. But having watched them several times in zoos surely they need to be in a group and have access to a huge enclosure to display natural behaviour?

#16 ·
Yet you chose to reply to a message not aimed at you? And you have not answered anything at all really. Instead you have chosen to make unsolicited personal attacks in an attempt to detract from real answers and discussion. It's very childish, so I'm pleased you'll not be replying. Although I suspect you will feel the need to have the last word.

I just suspect that zoos have more of a clue than yourself. Particularly after reading your other posts on the subject. I don't believe zoo staff wrestle their animals to restrain them in a harness on a regular basis for starters!

Hopefully someone else with a more mature manner and real facts may continue the conversation.

It is disappointing to read your posts though. I was saddened when you made similar attqacks on other people who you seem to take a dislike to. The forum is so much better when it covers facts and debate, no matter how robust that might be. Everyone knows that when someone on a thread resorts to personal attacks, they've either lost the argument or don't have a clue. You may wish to bear that in mind in future.

All the best
Mynki

#17 ·
I don't believe zoo staff wrestle their animals to restrain them in a harness on a regular basis for starters!
*sigh* there's no wrestling involved.

Please realise that your comments are also personal "attacks", so you can drop the worthy act mister....it's not impressing anyone.

#19 ·
Right boys, let's all be friends and play nice.
This is turning into a bun fight!
And that's sad.

I'm sure mrcriss has his animals best welfare at heart and I'm sure mynki has the best intentions too.
Your personal feelings towards each other are now clouding the issue.

Rach
X

Reactions: aidey07 and Jamiioo
#22 ·
Back to original questions,we have kept coatis for over 20 years.Definately not a house pet,they have to have large outside enclosure to release their stacks of energy.We have a male and female living together and they love each other to bits.The female only tells the male off when she is pregnant,so he is removed,as females get too stressed having males in enclosure whilst pregnant.
Ours are in a well planted high,lots of branches enclosure,size approx,25ft x 15ft x 8ft.They have sleeping area off the ground.
I have had many a coati come and sit for a cuddle,so not all bad.
On the whole i have found them very nosey,very gentle,and the busiest little creatures ever.
Will post pics of enclosure later,off to take some photos now.

#26 ·
Here are the pictures if anybody else would like to follow with theres

That's how I imagined they should be kept. I take it they're really a display animal that offers some interaction rather than a 'pet'?

You say there is some agression during the breeding period, when do you reintroduce the male? And how does he interact with the babies?

What kind of things do you do to provide environment enrichment?

I've read that should have a heated enclosure with UVB. If they're spending time outdoors, in your opinion do they need UVB?

#27 ·
I would say they are a very nice pet,all of mine have been very keen on human interaction,its just their busy nature would make it virtually impossible to be kept in the house,also they poop anywhere.Our children go into the enclosure and fuss ours and they love it.
The babies are took away before male is put back into enclosure,i would imagine naturally a male would not be seen til next breeding season,so babies would be adult and probably different male on the scene.
I have never given uv light to any animal that is an outdoor enclosure species,and all my coatis have lived good ages,mid to late teens,and never had to have vet treatment.Diet is probably very important,mine have always been more carnivorous than fruit eating,although their diet given is very broad range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.