Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...

Just read a post from someone about why some pet shops cohabit herps...

Just wondered what your views are on it and if anyone on here does cohabit??

SI

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
there's an ongoing debate about whether corn snakes can be housed together. some do without probs & some will say it's a terrible idea.

glad you posted this though coz i was told that a tokay gecko & a water dragon can live in the same viv. is this true?

·
Registered
573 Posts
there's an ongoing debate about whether corn snakes can be housed together. some do without probs & some will say it's a terrible idea.

glad you posted this though coz i was told that a tokay gecko & a water dragon can live in the same viv. is this true?
tokay gecko's can live with water dragons as long as provided with many hiding places and bear in mind the ones im talking about live in a 7x7x6!:2thumb:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TBH i cant see the prob with it, if its an unnatural cohabitation then id say it would be a def no go. Simple example... and its one i see a fair bit at herp retailers around me is CWDragons with Auzzie W dragons. Lol cant you cohabit rattle snakes with certain tortoise???

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
so say the WD went into a hide that a tokay was in and it didnt know the tokay was in there what do you think would happen?? the tokay would rip the WD to bits!! its a bad idea!

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
so say the WD went into a hide that a tokay was in and it didnt know the tokay was in there what do you think would happen?? the tokay would rip the WD to bits!! its a bad idea!
Wouldn't that be more the other way around?

I mean Water dragons seem to be able to produce a nasty old bite.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Wouldn't that be more the other way around?

I mean Water dragons seem to be able to produce a nasty old bite.
could be either way really, one will more than likely kill the other

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
doesn't matter which way round it is, still seems a bad idea to house them together.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
TBH i cant see the prob with it, if its an unnatural cohabitation then id say it would be a def no go. Simple example... and its one i see a fair bit at herp retailers around me is CWDragons with Auzzie W dragons. Lol cant you cohabit rattle snakes with certain tortoise???
Just because they share the same range doesn't mean they can co-habit; Pocket Mice share the same habitat as Rattlesnakes, but (I hope) you wouldn't cohabit them...

I definitely wouldn't recommend it; as far as the Tokay is concerned, an adult CWD is big enough to eat it. This will stress the Tokay. A stressed Tokay is likely to bite the CWD if it comes near it. This will stress the CWD. If you kept them together, you would probably end up with two stressed lizards, and either a fatality, a hefty vets bill, or both.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
i'll ask him then, if he knows anyone that's done it successfully. from what i've read here, it seems such a bad idea i can't imagine anyone trying it.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
i'll ask him then, if he knows anyone that's done it successfully. from what i've read here, it seems such a bad idea i can't imagine anyone trying it.
If you stick around long enough you will quickly get to know that there are people on this forum who would... :bash: Then probably wouldn't take their animals to the vets afterwards. Or is that just me being cynical again...?

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
youde be surprised at what people do TBH! theres loads of crazy people that do really stupid things with mixing, chams and torts etc. its pointless really! either buy lots of vivs and keep them seperate and have happy healthy lizards or just have one lizard! (this wasnt aimed at you teshu)

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
If you stick around long enough you will quickly get to know that there are people on this forum who would... :bash: Then probably wouldn't take their animals to the vets afterwards. Or is that just me being cynical again...?
nope your not being too cynical:bash:

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
:lol2: :lol2: good:)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
youde be surprised at what people do TBH! theres loads of crazy people that do really stupid things with mixing, chams and torts etc. its pointless really! either buy lots of vivs and keep them seperate and have happy healthy lizards or just have one lizard! (this wasnt aimed at you teshu)
don't worry, i knwo it wasn't aimed at me.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
good:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts