Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some of you may have heard, some not. Five Timber wolves escaped from Colchester zoo today, one returned to its enclosure, one was tranquilized, and 3 were shot dead, even though they could have tranquilized them too (but didn't try). It thought it was unnecessary.
Here's the article for those interested BBC News - On-the-run Colchester Zoo wolf shot dead

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I read that and was surprised and saddened that some had been shot dead. I can only think it was thought justified... t darts are hard to aim at distance, and maybe they could get close enough.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read that and was surprised and saddened that some had been shot dead. I can only think it was thought justified... t darts are hard to aim at distance, and maybe they could get close enough.
I was expecting to read that the three shot dead had attacked someone or another animal, but they didn't. I want to think they had to be shot for a reason, it's how quick they were to opt for killing them without even trying to save them, that annoys me.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you imagine the headlines if they had attacked someone, or a pet? Unfortunately in this situation the zoo had very little option. It would not have been taken lightly.
Yes that is very true. On another note I have found out that this is not the first escape from that zoo this year. A red river boar escaped in august. This zoo has either the weakest enclosure fencing or these animals have been deliberately released.

·
Super Moderator
7,032 Posts
From the outside it would seem that way but I worked at a zoo thirty years ago and animals sometimes do the most unexpected things to escape. Then there is always the chance of human error.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the outside it would seem that way but I worked at a zoo thirty years ago and animals sometimes do the most unexpected things to escape. Then there is always the chance of human error.
Again yes, that is the more likely possibility. It's just that 2 escapees in a year strikes me as suspicious, you know? Maybe you don't and perhaps I'm a little :crazy: haha.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I go to Colchester zoo at least twice a year probably my favourite zoo in the country I can't believe they would of shot the wolves without a lot of thought and there enclosure always looked rather secure so just a tragic set of circumstances but I think was the right thing to do such a shame

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Tranq darts apparently take up to 15 minutes to kick in and won't always work on an excited animal - totally agree with the decision to shoot to kill the ones that had left park bounds.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't you think they should have at least tried to save their lives though? Who's to say they would have even attacked anyone or anything. Like the report said they weren't likely to attack unless backed into a corner. I had a look at the immediate area surrounding the zoo on google maps, there doesn't appear to be a single house.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Apparently it was the keepers themselves that were given the order to shoot, I'm pretty sure if there were any other way, the keepers would of refused. I know I would of. You've got to remember that although these animals are not tame by any means, they are used to humans being around, and that makes them even more dangerous. As a species, they're quite timid, but if they are used to having humans around there's no telling how they would of reacted I guess. As above though, darts would probably not have affected them in such an agitated state, it's a horrible thing to happen, but it does happen and sometimes there's just nothing that can be done. The safety of the people at the zoo and immediate area will always come before the lives of the animals.

Reactions: mrcriss

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm just shocked the enclosure parameters were not checked prior to letting the animals out, checks on enclosures should always be carried out before putting animals in them!!!
Colchester is my local zoo, according to the web site the enclosure was checked every morning, the thing that concerned me was not the escape from the enclosure, but th escape from the zoo grounds. as far as I know no reason has yet been given, but something must have attracted them through the fence in my opinion, possibly a deer.

Also Colchester town isn't far from the zoo and there are lots of houses and a pub with a beer garden just over the zoo fence, and dotted around the approach to the zoo from the Maldon road.

It is all very sad, but as some one else stated, the tranquilizers don't always work on a stressed animal.

The red river hog never left the enclosure it made it's way through into the keeper side of the set up. personally i don't count that as an "escape" any more than if a budgie flies around the hall way rather than the living room, if it gets out of the window then it's escaped.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Don't you think they should have at least tried to save their lives though? Who's to say they would have even attacked anyone or anything. Like the report said they weren't likely to attack unless backed into a corner. I had a look at the immediate area surrounding the zoo on google maps, there doesn't appear to be a single house.
Im pretty sure you'd have a different opinion if you lived in one of the local houses and your children were out playing on the street with there new bikes they got for xmas.

These are wild animals and the zoo isn't going to allow for any casualties that they would be liable for.

Get in the real world, we are the top of the food chain. They would attack us if we were in there land so we should be doing the same of means allow.

I think they did the right thing this could have been a lot worse.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im pretty sure you'd have a different opinion if you lived in one of the local houses and your children were out playing on the street with there new bikes they got for xmas.

These are wild animals and the zoo isn't going to allow for any casualties that they would be liable for.

Get in the real world, we are the top of the food chain. They would attack us if we were in there land so we should be doing the same of means allow.

I think they did the right thing this could have been a lot worse.
I think you missed my point, but it doesn't matter. I realised I was the only who gave a toss last month.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I think you missed my point, but it doesn't matter. I realised I was the only who gave a toss last month.
It's not a matter of giving a toss.....it's upsetting news for everyone. But anyone with half a brain can see they took the only course of action that was open to them!

Reactions: Drayvan

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
If they could shoot and kill them then they could have swapped the bullets for tranqs. People just love killing things though dont they...
What a stupid thing to say!

Reactions: PETERAROBERTSON

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I wish I lived in this 'Disney world' that everyone else seems to... everything is so black and white and doesn't actually need to consider the consequences of anything

Where do I sign up?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts