Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has just won some goldfish from a local event and Ive set up a tank for them (approx 24'x18"x12' (LxHxD). Would have prefered to set up and leave a week or 2 but didnt have time.

Ive kept tropical fish before (a few years back) but never cold water, and was wondering what plants i can add. I also wish to add a couple of extra fish (in a couple of weeks), but dont really know what is available apart from gold fish, what would you recommend, any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
ok, bad news first, and all this is going to sound very negative.that tank is far from big enough to house those fish for more than a month or 2 at most. goldfish grow very large, and common/comet/shubunkin types-the streamlined single tailed fish, need at least a 5ft tank or better yet a pond to avoid stunting and an early miserable death. they should reach lengths of around 12-18" long, are very messy and poop a lot. if left in this small tank they will stunt, which means their external body slows or even stops growing over time, but their internal organs continue to grow, which eventually leaves their organs cramped and unable to function properly they begin to fail. this can take a long time and personally i feel they suffer incredibly during this time. this type of goldfish has been known to live over 40 years, 20 years is a good age for them to live to in aquariums, any less than 10 is a sorry life for a goldie.

fancy goldfish with fat bodies and twin tails stay smaller, but even so, just a pair of these will outgrow your tank as they need a bare minimum 30g tank. these types of goldfish can live to around 10 years, IMO 6-8 years is a good age for a fancy, they have far more issues than the commons as they are bred to be deformed and are very much inbred to get the shapes and characteristics wanted.

i doubt you have fancies as they dont survive as well on these god awful stalls as the common goldies will. i do wish people wouldnt support this cruelty, if nobody played these games, the inhumane idea of giving away living breathing (suffering) animals as prizes will stop.

dont use the 'they are small right now' reason for keeping them in this tank, you wont know when the stunting will begin, and its irreversible. sure, if you put a stunted fish into a larger tank or even a pond it may grow a little, but they will never live to their full potential even though it may well extend their shortened lives. if you dont believe their internal organs continue to grow even though they appear to stay the same size, then look at a stunted goldfishes eyes, or fins, they continue to grow albeit slower, and will appear far too large for the fishes body and head size.

for now, you need a good filter,for a 2ft tank id go for a fluval 3+, a ton of live plants (will aid water quality between water changes each week and they also need plant matter in their diet) any live plants will more than likely be eaten or uprooted, so i tend to stick with elodea or cabomba, or i use a mix of both as they eat the elodea and leave the cabomba alone. i leave both free floating in my tanks so they float near the light and grow better. the fish enjoy tugging them about the tank anyway so planting them is pretty useless :lol2: in my fancy tank they last a few weeks before i need to buy some more.

if you dont feel you can give them a decent quality of life in a large enough tank (5ft+) please please consider rehoming and finding something which can comfortably live in this tank,it simply isnt large enough even for fancy goldfish. do not add any other fish to this tank in the mean time. if you rehome these guys to a nice size pond, you can have a wide range of choice by simply adding a small heater. cool water, there are few fish that can live in this tank without stunting. you could alway add a nice school of white cloud mountain minnows, they come in 2 different colours. also, ive had success keeping guppies in non-heated tanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts