Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As promised here are a few pics of my 2 collards.

This is a pic of the female.

This is the male and female.

This is the both of them again.

The male on its own.

Sorry about pic quality camera is not very good.

·
Registered
336 Posts
:D Very nice! they look fantastic! i do love collards, just dont have the room for any more creatures in my house :(

·
Registered
336 Posts
that last pic really looks smart!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for the coments everyone. Cud anyone suggest the sex of them because the first was sold to me as a male but i later found out it was a female and the second was also sold to me as a male but they both look completely different in colours so im shure that there is one male and a female just not shure which is wich :?:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
HIYA MATE ,firstly...cracking lizards...
secondly, for sexing, you might need better pics but i reckon GAN1 will be able to help you, give her a PM.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
can you post pics of their undersides?

They're westerns, males have blackish blue develop on their bellies and dewlaps when they start to mature, girls dont have this

If you can get a pic posted of their undersides so the scales at the base of the tail can be seen I'll explain how to tell seeing as they still young uns and might not yet have the colour change.

Though black pigmentation is a definite male (In western species) you can prob see it on this pic

I dont have any that show you the sex by the genitalia and cant take any cos they all brumating at the mo, but if you can get them posted I'll show ya

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
PS this is the female, she doesnt have the black on her belly or her throat

BTW the coloration doesnt mean much, females tend to be dull but they all vary a lot in colour, I had a really pale sandy coloured male with very few spots and as you can see Arthur in the first pic is really bright and dappled. Elvis, the female is also quite bright for a female, she looks a lot like the fatter one of yours I think

I also remembered this (My friend Eve's site), which shows how to sex em. The pics are of Eastern collareds so there is no black pigment in the male, but if you look at the size of the scales thats your best bet

http://www.suncharmers.com/id10.html

Anyway hope this helps

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
liam said:
cheers for the coments everyone. Cud anyone suggest the sex of them because the first was sold to me as a male but i later found out it was a female and the second was also sold to me as a male but they both look completely different in colours so im shure that there is one male and a female just not shure which is wich :?:
So you basically bought possibly two males :?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fazer600sy- The shop said the first one was a male but i got a phone call about 2 hours after i got it home saying it was a female. The second was sold to me as a male. and if they do turn out to be two males i have a spare viv I could use for them.

Gan1-I will try to post some pics of the underside of them both but its trying to get hold of them and keep them still enough to take the pic thats the problem.

Thanks for the help.

Liam

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here are the pics of the undersides.

this is the one that was sold to me as a female.

this is the one that was sold to me as a male.

Again sorry about poor pic quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts