Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I need some help with my 2 eastern collared lizards and was hoping someone can provide me with some information/answers.

I have an adult male and a female who is about 6 months old ( I think, not 100% sure on her age but it's round about this).

I want to house them together, they are both very friendly, when I introduce them they get on fine but my male really wants to mate the female, I know she is not ready for this yet as she is too young and has no blush, he is not aggressive to mate her, he only tries to gently grip the back of her neck and go into ritual but I stopped him and separated them because I was worried it could harm her as she is so young!

Questions posed are, would it harm her if he did breed her? (she does not seem to mind his advances and she does bob her head in return to his, when he did grip her neck she was placid and did not arch or attempt to run off but I know she is not ready yet)

After and when he has mated with her (in due time) will he calm down or still want to mate her frequently/persistently?

I really want.to house them together but I won't until I know they are safe, in sheer size she is only a little bit smaller than him in length but he had a lot more mass and muscle compared to her, I know he will not harm her but just worry it could hurt her if they mate.

Any help and information will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
900 Posts
You keep a awesome species. I've research this species in the past quite a bit but never got around to purchasing them unfortunately. A friend of mine does keep this species though.

I agree with Debbie, breeding a immature lizard isn't wise.
Especially when its late in the year, she isn't fully grow and her first hibernation is coming up.

I've discussed this with a friend a while back. Mating will most likely occur several times even if he already mated. He keeps this species in a small harem, one male with two or more females. So a single female will not be bothered all the time. That's (one of the reasons) why a large viv with plenty of hiding places is recommended for this species. So females have a good chance to get away.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you

Appreciate your information and help, one further question would be is, if he did mate with her, she has no eggs available so she would not actually harbour any fertile eggs if I'm right? I don't plan on doing this under any case I just want to make sure I've covered everything and fully understand it, as I'm aware through thorough research a female collared can keep the males sperm inside until she is ready to fertilise her eggs when she produces?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

I appreciate your advice and help on this :)

My question now is, as she is young and has no eggs, if he did mate with her she would have no eggs to fertilise? So I'm sure she would just continue as normal? I know that female collareds keep the males sperm inside them for a period until they produce eggs to fertilise correct? This is not because I want them to do it but just as a precaution when I do let them play incase it did ever happen, other than when he tries to mate with her they seem so good together and share his basking spot and live happy, but when he tried to I immediately separated them, they have a Very large vivarium and plenty of space to live apart in there if need to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts