Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a post a while back about collareds living on tiles, and was told to put them on sand and that they spit it out if any gets in their mouth. So I kept mine on sand, still being wary of it 'cos I hate sand.... well today I saw Bobby my collared run after a cricket, miss and eats a mouthful of sand.
No spitting it out, just swallowed it straight down. So there goes the idea that collareds spit it out...
He lives with my desert iggy, not for much longer hopefully as Im searching for another viv, but what am I supposed to do?

People were so against me keeping either of them on tiles last time I asked that I put them on sand, and now this has happened. I know they both like the sand as they dig in it and lie out it in when basking, but its no good if Bobby is just going to get mouthfuls.
The iggy is OK as she eats out a bowl. Although have seen some sand on her face...
It might be natural for them to live on sand in the wild, but I cant sit back and watch them possibly getting impactation.

Before anyone asks, yes they are supplemented, and no I cant feed outside the viv as they are buggers to catch.

Help? :(

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I think the disscusion went "but maybe have an area where its tiled around where you feed him"

which is good advise.
The collard muct have access to sand to dig.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
How do you know he actually got a mouthfull of sand? was it with the cricket or alone?
He should pass it fine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I always think that if you think about their natural enviorenment and try to replicate it then you can't go wrong. Collards and deserts live in desert in the states so I'd keep them on sand as they wouldn't be able to survive there if it caused them endless problems.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was watching him hunting them today and he runs sooo fast, he went to grab it, it hopped and he just got loads of sand. I could see him chewing it.
He makes the crickets run and jump everywhere but I guess I could try like a cat litter box with sand so it would be harder for the crix to get into?
With tiles everywhere else? I like seeing them on sand 'cos they dig into it and lie down to bask its just the feeding is a problem.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always think that if you think about their natural enviorenment and try to replicate it then you can't go wrong. Collards and deserts live in desert in the states so I'd keep them on sand as they wouldn't be able to survive there if it caused them endless problems.

Animals can still die of impactation in the wild though.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Perhaps cool the crickets slightly...
But a hunting area [even a flat piece of wood or slate or as you say a tray] where theres no sand might be an idea.
Either way, if it happens rarely... it shouldnt be a problem.. the collard shouldnt miss often..and even when he does he shouldnt get a mouthfull of sand often atall, they dont tend to jump for crix whilst havin thier mouths open wide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts