Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to get a Crestie in January or February. I am getting everything ready for when i get it. Where i work we have loads of trees (well like a woods) & i was thinking of collecting some oak leaves to put in the viv for the Crestie. If i do how do i treat these so they are safe to use? They aren't near any roads etc... so no pollution on them but there are foxes & wild rabbits about. Do i need to soak them & then bake in the oven etc...? Thanks for any advice on this :2thumb:.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clean them up, by maybe washing them, then put them in the freezer for a while, take them out then let them dry out til they are crispy. Thats what I would do. But Im lazy and just get a bag from www.dartfrog.co.uk :)

Yeah i saw that Dartfrog sell them, just thought as there are plenty at work i could use them :2thumb:. I was thinking of soaking them overnight & then putting them in the oven to dry out & kill off any nasties.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I had some natural leaves for one of my aft, even though I thoroughly cleaned them all he got ill. I'm not sure whether this was from the leaves but just a warning from experience. Ordering from a good website might be a safer option :)

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had some natural leaves for one of my aft, even though I thoroughly cleaned them all he got ill. I'm not sure whether this was from the leaves but just a warning from experience. Ordering from a good website might be a safer option :)
Thank you hun, i may just order some from Dartfrog then to be safe :2thumb:. I know they are quite cheap so for peace of mind it will be better.

·
Registered
819 Posts
at the start I think you should keep the enclosure basic and safe. then start dabbling with things like leaves etc. if it got ill straight away it would be hard to say what caused it. so i recommend keeping it nice and simple at first =]

Tom
I've had my AFT for over a year, just strange how when i added the leaves he became ill but he got treated and is fine now. I wouldn't use them again tho.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have an old microwave I use outside on an extension lead.This will kill anything in the leaves.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Be sure to collect from an area that is not treated with any insecticides...

TBH, there really is no reason to clean the leaves... If you are going for the natural type substrate, you want the good bacterias that come with it... Nothing I put in my lizard cages I take from the outside as far as substrate does not ever get baked or disinfected...

Your gecko will not get sick, catch parasites, or die if you do not disinfect the leaves...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Your gecko will not get sick, catch parasites, or die if you do not disinfect the leaves...
But your animals will most likely get harmful mites if you don't freeze the leaves first.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Aren't riccardoella limacum harmful to reptiles?

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
I have used Leaves for years and never had a problem, just make sure they came from an area away from roadside pollution, insecticides and Dog mess.
Never had a problem with mites, ants yes,mites never.
To be on the safe side you could microwave them.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
It is a mite commonly found on slugs, but I thought they could be a problem for reptiles too. Are you saying there's no need for me to freeze substrate I buy if it has mites on it? Are mites not harmful at all or just the mites found in this country? Forgive me, as although I've kept other animals all my life, I'm new to reptiles.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
It is rediculous to suggest that slug mites will infest and feed on reptiles... No offence...
The only mites that can be a problem for reptiles are snake mites... Snake mites originate from Africa and do not feed on lizards like geckos and monitor lizards, tegus and pretty much any lizard... They have not become natives to the US or UK... There are mites that come from Austalia that do feed on lizards but they have not been introduced to any collection outside of Astralia...

You can get some bugs when collecting substrate but they will not harm your lizards... In fact most are beneficial when it comes to keeping your natural vivs clean... Wood lice, substrate mites, small beetle species and their larva are all welcome in my lizard cages...

So yes, I am saying there is no reason at all to freeze or bake oak leaves you collect for your cages...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am by no means a reptile expert but do however find it slightly amusing reading hundreds of posts which state "this is harmfull - this will kill them - do not put natural wood or leaves in the viv without treating them"

I know it is best to be safe first and foremost but come on, these are all wild creatures who would face these wild evils if they were not locked up in a cage anyway - 99% of the time, they are going to be just fine :2thumb:

unless obviously if the plant/wood is actually poisionous to the species - aka redwoods to snakes

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I just found some brown mites for the first time today in my snake viv... Are you saying I needn't worry about finding treatment to get rid of them?

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I just found some brown mites for the first time today in my snake viv... Are you saying I needn't worry about finding treatment to get rid of them?
Brown mites in the viv are not snake mites... Snake mites are black, not brown... If they were snake mites, they would be on your snake, not walking around in the substrate... Most mite species are not parasitic... Sounds like you have substrate mites that feed on rotting wood, fungus and animal waste, not on living creatures...

What are you using for a substrate???

If I saw those little brown "mites" I would not seek treatment for them... They are natures sanitation crew and are welcome in my vivs...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts