Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i've got information from lots of people and i just want to make sure its true or not...

I've been told that when their beard goes black when they are either stressed or happy. Which one is it? I'm just confused as Yoshi (my beardie) goes black randomly.

Thanks
Pix

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
my BD goes black when shes got the hump or if shes cold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well its just when i was feeding him crickets his beard went black. I would of thought he'd be happy when getting fed :p

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
he needs time to settle dont worry to much this time next week i bet hes a lovely freindly little beardie
how old is he ?

·
Registered
756 Posts
To give an example; I have 2 male bearded dragons housed separately. They were separated because they began fighting as they matured.

1 is habituated to handling and shows no signs of having a negative experience. If you pick him up he feels relaxed.

The other does not appreciate being handled, will black his beard and tense his muscles; he does not however bite or hiss. If you pick him up in this state you can feel he is physically tense/rigid. This is his attempt to intimidate me so as to deter me from picking him up.

How old is your Beardie - I expect he is quite young and will "loosen up" as he gets older.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i'm assuming 6-8 months as hes 14". I don't know much about him as my dad ordered him for me as a present. He was told it was going to be 3" and when i opened the box i got quite a fright :p

·
Registered
849 Posts
Making their beard black is something that they do out of their own free will, it is a display that they use to make themselves look intimidating.

It does not indicate stress or anything similar.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Hi mate, congrats on the new beardie, look after him.

Both makes and femlaes do the black beard, but no always.

Both sexes do it when they are pizzed off.
Males also do it to display to the female.
the female in turn does it to say faff off
its defo nothing to worry about.. if the boy is doin it during feeding its just a sign of a strong, would be dominant animal so nothing to worry about, but NEVER let him think he's the boss of you...not that its liely to ever be an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts