Reptile Forums banner

colouration when growing in bd's

495 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  ianyork 
#1 ·
just a quick one, as mocha grows and grows, he seems to develop more and more yellow on his beard and legs and gets more orange/yellow on his face!

i thought they dulled down the older the dragon became? or do they become more vibrant during maturity/wanting to mate etc?

and this may sound silly but can femaled bds make their beards go black or is it only the males? only reason i ask is ive seen lots of males make their beards black but yet to see a female do it :?

cheers

ian

#2 ·
I havent herd of beardies losing there colour the older they get, most tend to get slightly brighter. Well iv seen a couple of female beardies turn there beards black, so i think both of them can, but it tends more to be the male.

#4 ·
Well my male Peanut was just plan grey when i got him at 12 weeks old, then he got to nearly a year old and started to get a lot of yellow and a gorgeous firey red face. So i reckon for a male, its a sign of maturity.

As for black beards, well from what i've seen only the males tend to go jet black and head bob. But the females tend to head bob too but very slowly.

#5 ·
cool thanks becky!

another quick question (i know this is going to have some mixed opinions :D )

when housing more than one beardie does the depth of the cage matter a great deal?

thing is my beardie is going to be moved into my room at some point and im thinking of building a bigger viv for him so that if i get anymore there will be plenty of space!

as a result i was going to go for 8'x2'x2', i have space to have a long viv but not a wide viv, will this suffice or does it need to be wider :? if i was to say house, 2 or 3 dragons (1 male to 1 or 2 females)???

cheers

ian

#6 ·
2 ft deep by 2 ft hign should be o.k. I have a 4x2x2 and my lot are happy with that.

It's a lot of room though for say 3 dragons. Are you thinking of getting adults or babies?? Obviously, With adults, the more room the better but with babies you need to partition off the vivarium as an 8ft long viv is too big for babies. And as they grow, you move the partition along.

This is the way i work it out anyway,

1 adult (3-4ft viv)
2 adults (4ft)
3 adults (6ft)

For each addittional Beardie I give them roughly an extra 2ft.

For babies i keep them in a 2ft environment, then once grown on a bit i put them in a 3ft environment, Then 4ft etc etc.

#7 ·
8*2*2ft! You really do spoil ur rep's fella! :D

As for size viv's etc as said more room the better for adults! I've got three dragons in a 5*2*2 with some shelving inside as well to create extra floor space. Mine do just cool in that...

As for females beards going black... yes they do! My female goes jet black at times, and she normally has a really red beard, esp when shes warm :wink:

#8 ·
you know me matey, will provide the best i can for the wee beasties :D and like you im toying with the idea of some shelved areas, just thinking how i can hide all the wiring etc and make the best looking environment possible! as usual few ideas running through head :wink: just need to take some electronic components apart first to see if i can adapt them to my needs :wink: :D

and adult female/s would be ideal but not come across any yet so most likely will be hatchlings which ill grow up in the 4ft viv to a size where i can keep them in the same environment without become the pork masters dinner :lol:

#11 ·
Becky Wheeler said:
Hehe that's cos you spoil her Garreth! lol

She's very lucky to have you. Any news on those eggs????? My babies are 2 weeks old now and have doubled in size already.
Yep got one week and a few days left by my calculations.... best get my arse in gear and build them a viv :oops: Its half done. Went to B&Q on the weekend and OMG, the people that work there are muppets. Couldn't stand it any longer so walked out... gotta go back :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.