Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi every one i was just wondering if you good people can help me, ive just reserved a common boa and dont know much about them, has anyone got any care sheets or tips befor i get it?

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Since they reserved the snake (and not brought it home) technically they are researching first. :lol: I can see your point but now that the snake has been reserved lets just try to help.

I dont know much about boas myself sorry, but the link above looks pretty comprehensive!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replika said:
I think research first, order snake second; IMHO
thanks for your useless comments but ive been reseaching for 5 monthes and i wanted to check if i missed anythink thanks again for being helpful i already knew that.

and

Jack13 thanks for the site its very usefull

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
simonc said:
I have a pair of BCI ,was there anything specific that you wanted to ask about or just genaral care and maintainance?
i was just checking that i have its viv set right and the care skeets i have for the snake were right,every think seems ok for me to get it at the end of the month. the site Jack13 posted helped me check a few things. thanks every one (apart from Replika) for your help

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Sorry mate, could not be bothered to read all the posts, but what the size of the boa you are getting ?

Hope you enjoy it, they are lovely snakes. Normally a very easy snake to look after. Suggest you handle it for short periods at least twice a week. When it gets bigger, then I suggest you get yourself a hook to bring it out of the viv, because they can be quite territorial and may strike with unbelieveably speed and power.

As most snakes, make sure you don't let the temperature go below 80 degrees F, keep water fresh at all times (they tend to bath more often than other species I have) and provide them with loads of branches for climbing.

Boas can be quite stationary for large periods of time, but when they want to move they can wander around the viv for hours, and that helps with their digestion.

Since I got my first pair of boas they suddenly became my favourite snakes, but can be a bit tricky as they get larger.

·
Registered
597 Posts
i disagree alittle with the using a snake hook, if you get them out everyday, even if its just for 5 minutes, it will get used to you going in its viv and wont strike. if you dont like getting bitten, i suggest gloves if you need them.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Hooks do no harm to the snake, don't stress them, very good piece of equipment if you know what you're doing. Goves are good as well, but won't stop them to striking at you if they are more territorial than others (all snakes are different in a way), so hooks are definitely a good thing and used by many pros.

If you don't like fine, but don't pass an image that it might not be good, because it is very handy and a great tool both for the snake and the owner.

·
Registered
597 Posts
i didnt say it wasnt good, but rather not needed, maybe if its a hot but we are talking about a boa, you should handle it enough for it to be comfortable of you to come in its cage and get him out. ive never known anyone to use a snake hook with a common boa.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I use one with my adult females at this time of year thye seem to think everything is food including hands. I dont hook them out just touch them with it first let them know its handling time rather than feed time.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Same here, it's great to use the hook to put them in a better position to grab the snake. The thing I find nice about the hook is that they don't get stressed about it, so it's very easy to quickly get them out in a good mood.

I can't expect a snake to be willing to be handled 24/7 when I feel like, so normally most snakes tend to give you signs whether they want to be handled or not at that precise moment.

However after I've seen how nice and snake friendly it is to use the hook, it became a regular practice for me. I haven't used gloves for quite a while though :roll:

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank you all for your help. ive got another 3 weeks to read up on commen boas but it is only 1.5 ft long so it should be ok

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
You'll be alright, enjoy your new pet :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
oh good your getting a hatchling to start off with, and glad to see the research, i would suggest defo getting a hook as i kept a boa for a while last year and that buggar was well aggressive in this tank but a sweetheart out of it...! It was almost comical mate, the way he strook at your hand in his viv. and the hissing but then he was like a pussy cat on your arms when he was out of the viv... very terratorial mate... i would recomend a hook for the later years.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thank you all for your help, ill see what its like befor getting a hook

1 - 20 of 31 Posts