Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I just joined this forum after hearing lots about it, and I am seeking a little advice please.

I recently got a baby Common Boa..well 4mnths old now, and he has the sweetest temperament. Well he did until 2 days ago lol, I lifted his hide and went to gather him up..but oh boy did I jump. He opened his mouth and gave the most ferocious hiss! LOL

It would have been easy, believe me to back off and leave him, but I gritted my teeth and lifted the hissing monster out. He didn't bite, he didn't even try.

On closer examination his eyes are white, opaque. I fed him a mouse as it was feeding day, which he took with no hesitation.

Now my question is:

Should I still handle him for a few minutes when safe to do so between feeds?

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Leave him until he sheds.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Some people handle their snakes whilst they're in shed, some people leave them alone.

Personally, i handle my snakes whilst they're in shed, none of them have ever been bothered about it, i'm just more careful than normal with them.

It's your choice as to what you do, it won't harm the snake, it won't make your snake have a bad shed, he just may be hissy and prone to biting.

·
Registered
13,987 Posts
Hi there,

I just joined this forum after hearing lots about it, and I am seeking a little advice please.

I recently got a baby Common Boa..well 4mnths old now, and he has the sweetest temperament. Well he did until 2 days ago lol, I lifted his hide and went to gather him up..but oh boy did I jump. He opened his mouth and gave the most ferocious hiss! LOL

It would have been easy, believe me to back off and leave him, but I gritted my teeth and lifted the hissing monster out. He didn't bite, he didn't even try.

On closer examination his eyes are white, opaque. I fed him a mouse as it was feeding day, which he took with no hesitation.

Now my question is:

Should I still handle him for a few minutes when safe to do so between feeds?
leave him to shed
and never handle for 3 days after feed

Reactions: sharpstrain

·
Registered
22,115 Posts
I don't handle mine when in shed. I leave them too it. Most of mine are still very placid when in shed but one is a real nasty bugger so I stay well away from him :lol2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys,

lol I was lazy in my first post, I didn't state that I always leave 48hrs after feeding to handle.

I think i'll leave him while in shed, as its obviously a stressful time..and although he hissed he didn't attempt to bite. That was the only show of defensiveness since I had him.

Its the faun that gives me concern as humidity is an issue..but all seems to be going well so far.

·
Registered
27,924 Posts
I leave mine alone when they are in blue and with the exception of feeding it's the only time mine hide away & I only disturb to change water, the only hissy one is my hoggie and she can be a right moody lady & will have to wait and see with my new little boa as I've only had her a week, so far though she seems to have a calm nature.

·
Premium Member
16,486 Posts
I know some people say they handle their snakes in shed - but I always find it a bit cold and prefer the privacy of my own bedroom

Reactions: Xerse
1 - 9 of 9 Posts