Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my little sister is trying to raise a few frogs from spawn from our pond so we can see them grow better and so the fish don't eat them all, i was just wondering if any one could advise me on what food the tad-poles will need - i have a feeling i might end up taking more care of them but sis won't want them releasing - when they hatch. i know when they get to frog shapes i should move on to tiny live food and would like to know which of them is best too.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
When the tadpoles are tiny feed them on pond weed and other pond plants. When they get larger feed them on pieces of meat and dead soft bodied insects.
Hope this... helped?

·
Registered
671 Posts
we raised some in a tank here last year so that a young family member could watch them develop from spawn to froglets.
we started them off in pong water, with aquatic plants, then as the tadpoles developed gave them boiled lettuce, fish food flakes etc.
Partial water changes were done weekly.
All but one emerged as young frogs, they were then released back into my garden ponds.

There are a few good articles online about raising common frog tadpoles
here is one of them
Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust: Frogs

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
it's great to watch them morph, I used to do the same when I was teeny. ALWAYS released the froglets though. I fed mine on fish food and bloodworms. not sure what else? I always had live aquatic plants in the tank too.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
erm also live daphnia and live brine shrimp
i rais ethem every year becaus they are soo interesting and fun to watch !
keep me on my toes

lol

any more questions pm me =]

damien

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, i'll see if sis wants to shift them into a more apropriate tub - they're in a old fish food pellets tub now but we have a better one in the shed.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I have been given a large clump of frog spawn, I have put the in a tank with a filter, do i need a filter?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
could you put small shrimps for the froglets to eat, you know the ones you feed fish

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Good q above. Could you use live bloodworm, brine shrimp or daphnia?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Last year, once the tadpoles grew legs I just kept feeding fishfood, but chucked a small cube of tubifex worms in, they loved it...if they could get near it !! It goes off after a day or two in the water so needs removing tho.

I've got some freezedried gammarus that I bought for my fish so i'm gonna try them for the taddies once they get legs.

As for a water filter, i'm using a sponge filter in with mine. The love feeding off the particles stuck to the sponge and they cant get sucked in anywhere by it....i've got the outlet half in and half out of the water so the water current produced is very weak.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the taddys have hatched, sis is only allowed to keep them till both sets of legs grow and they can hop about. they have water plants for shade shelter and oxygen but i want to know do they need any extra food adding in? (still only few days out of the eggs)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
do sisters taddys need any special food / water treatment or will they be ok in a bucket with plant floating in it?

(please help last time they ended up dying - luckily there was still so much spawn we were over run with froglets)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
you need to be careful the water doesn't stagnate, frequent water changes with the pond water that they came from will help. you can get live food (bloodworms and the like) from most good aquatics shops.

can I ask how many you have in this 'bucket' ? as overcrowding isn't good for them either.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you need to be careful the water doesn't stagnate, frequent water changes with the pond water that they came from will help. you can get live food (bloodworms and the like) from most good aquatics shops.

can I ask how many you have in this 'bucket' ? as overcrowding isn't good for them either.
couldn't count them, it was just a lump of spawn she carefully fished out, so we don't know how many are in there.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I also think the young tadpoles will eat cucumber - but cut the skin off as it's a bit tough for them. They should munch through the softer centre.

Just be sure to remove it after a day, otherwise it will start to disintegrate and pollute the water : victory:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
ok next question, how big is the 'bucket' ?? overcrowding might lead to them eating each other if they aren't fed adequately. (or so I have read elsewhere)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bout 4 litres - i think i'll take a good few out and release them, but how many is sis ok to keep in a 4 litre tub?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I would go for about a dozen. least you know that they'll be ok and much more manageable, and it will also stop the water from stagnating so fast. what with the tadpoles waste and the food waste. love to see some pics :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, week end i'll get a jam jar catch 12 (- 20 most) and tip the rest back into the pond - sis has let them hatch safely now so they've got a bit of head start any way.

p.s. i know bucket is bout 4 litres as i carried that up from the pond every 2 days to give a fish with swim bladder fresh water and medicine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts