Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have noticed that my juvenile stinkpot musk turtle's mouth looks to be eroding and is a strange shape. It is not symmetrical on each side and just doesn't look right. I will provide some photos but I suspect it is mouth rot and would like another opinion before I take him to the vet. He eats food readily, but doesn't touch the cuttlebone I recently bought him (I'm not sure if this is anything to do with it). He doesn't seem to be in any pain and I haven't noticed any discharge to the mouth; the mouth just seems to look eroded. Thank you

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
mouthrot occurs to the tongue and the soft tissues inside the mouth. This is not the problem. You are looking at changes to the beak, which is hard tissue.

Looks to me as if the beak is over growing. Ensure some food given needs a good bite to it, and make sure there is calcium in the water (just providing a cuttlefish is not enough, he is not a tortoise).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.