Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I have a few worries about one of my musk turtles, he just isn't growing at all ... I have 4 musk turtles in total and I bought them all at the same time, they are around 9 months old now, and the other 3 are fine and getting big.

He eats and swims perfectly fine, he does have one other problem it looks like his eyes are protruding out of his head a bit.

Just wanted to know if any other people have experienced this with theirs, or if you know what the problem is?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,550 Posts
Hey All,

I have a few worries about one of my musk turtles, he just isn't growing at all ... I have 4 musk turtles in total and I bought them all at the same time, they are around 9 months old now, and the other 3 are fine and getting big.

He eats and swims perfectly fine, he does have one other problem it looks like his eyes are protruding out of his head a bit.

Just wanted to know if any other people have experienced this with theirs, or if you know what the problem is?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.

Can you give a bit more detail as to the tank size, depth of water, water temperature, filter, lighting, diet etc?

It could be a vitamin deficiency if he has poorly eyes and/or poor quality of water. It could also be that he is being "bullied", unintentionally at that age, by the others and not getting enough/any food. As much background information as possible (and pictures) will help.

You will probably find as they mature that four cannot live happily together, depending also very much as to their sexes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Stephen,

Thanks for your reply

My tank size is a 100L tank with about 80L full and a depth of around 45cm

I have a Eheim filter at the moment, and a UVB light. The water temperature is around 24 degrees and I do a water change around every 2 weeks

Their diet consists of reptomin, dried shrimp , bloodworm and tubifex. I have tried to feed them lettuce and bits of veg... But no luck apart from them eating the plants I put in the tank.

I also use king British vitamin drops and dr turtle in their water.

I do watch them when they eat and he seems to be eating enough , being as he is no bigger than a £2 coin. He seems healthy, swimming fine.

I do have pictures, which I will upload a bit later as they are on my home laptop

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your setup, turtles do grow at different rates, you may simply have something of a "runt". I have two young Musks that have grown very little for the first year, but seem to be going through a growth spurt now.

Make sure the smaller turtle is getting it's fair share of food, and not being picked on for its size. A separate enclosure may be required in future should problems develop.

Their diet consists of reptomin, dried shrimp , bloodworm and tubifex. I have tried to feed them lettuce and bits of veg... But no luck apart from them eating the plants I put in the tank.
Reptomin is great, but I would swap the dried foods for frozen prawns/mussels from the supermarket, and frozen bloodworm from any aquatic shop. Musks are primarily carnivorous, so will probably show very little interest in plant matter. I keep mine with a variety of live plants which they can feed on any time they choose, but they practically ignore them!

There's some pages on my website which may be of use to you:
Common Musk Turtle (Sternotherus odoratus) Caresheet - Insectivore.co.uk
My Juvenile Common Musk setup - Insectivore.co.uk
My Adult Common Musk setup - Insectivore.co.uk

Best,
Paul

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
I would try seperating it from the others for a few months in it's own setup, see if that makes any difference. You don't seem to be doing anything obviously wrong, this would at least help to eliminate anything to do with competition between them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would try seperating it from the others for a few months in it's own setup, see if that makes any difference. You don't seem to be doing anything obviously wrong, this would at least help to eliminate anything to do with competition between them.
Hey Graham,

Yes i was thinking of that, but they also seem to get on fine. and i dont want them to then start bullying him when i put him back in if he does get bigger and have to always keep him seperate.

Once i can sex them i might consider putting them in pairs.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Male turtles in any combination can cause trouble, and may harass females. I'd keep females together, and separate males to be kept alone if possible.

Best,
Paul

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
As Paul says.

Pairs (assuming you mean M/F) would be almost the worst way to keep them, only keeping males together would be more problematic.

One male in any setup is plenty, with preferably at least 3 females for a mixed setup so that none of them gets too much attention from the male.

I have two rehomed females with large chunks missing from their shells that will never regrow, from being attacked by males trying to mate with them, lost tails and limbs are not uncommon, and they can even be killed in some cases.

·
Super Moderator
16,550 Posts
Agree with the above totally - our male and female Musk live apart. Sorry to those that have read it (numerous times) before, but we even found the male Musk mating a young male Slider when he had been removed from sharing with her.

The young male Sliders all live together and the two mature males have several females with them, and so far all is well!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I have to agree, I keep my male musk with 3 females. With plenty of hiding places like moss and bogwood , this gives the turtles places to take refuge from each other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts