Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some time back I was looking into communal lizard species as the whole idea of that seemed pretty neat to me. I didn’t find too much besides green anoles (which still do sound pretty fun) and I eventually moved on from the topic, figuring that most reptiles just aren’t suited for that kind of life in captivity. Then just a while ago I went and checked out Josh’s Frogs just for fun and looked around at the various species of gecko there and noticed the viper gecko. I read a bit on it and was pleasantly surprised to find that they’re communal, which got me thinking about the whole social lizard thing again. So I thought I’d ask if anyone here knows of any, or has any experience with these kinds of lizards and what your thoughts are on them :)

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Vipers, several species of cave gecko too...i think gargoyle geckos are as well? You want to see if you can have a word with Jools on here, quite a few different species in her (think her! sorry if no) collection.
Depending on the size, and exactly how big a colony you are thinking... if a trio is ok have you thought about something like a horned mountain lizard? The viv is going to be much larger than you would for an actual colony of anoles though lol.

I think its important that whatever you get, it should be one that you are interested in for their character/appearance not just because they can co-habit though. So what species really catch your attention?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Gargoyle geckos aren't considered communal as they tend to eat each others tails.

Vipers geckos are communal, as are tropiocolotes, tropidophorus and phelsuma klemmeri from my experience. I've also seen egernia sp, diplodactylus sp, dipsosaurus, and various agama species be kept well in small colonies.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I'm not sure to be honest, just something I read about while researching them. More prone in youngsters housed together apparently, so maybe just hungry!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Just to confirm, when we say 'communal' are we talking about the same species living together, or housing different species together?

Given large enough enclosures, most lizards can live more than one to an enclosure, particularly if territorial males are kept singly with one or more females, and many will live in bonded pairs or colonies (however in the confines of a terrarium this can easily break down to fighting and stress if they are not given enough space).

Mixed species groups are a different matter, but can also be done with much less difficulty than some would ascribe and can work very well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found that I could house 1 male and 3 female green anoles together. They got on well, I saw no evidence of any fighting. Really if you give enough space you could keep most lizards communally, but obviosuly you want a reasonably sized viv.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.