Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
NO. i was looking for the thread that showed snake cannabalism but cant find it, if anyone else can please show colin 747

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
yeah, that'll be the one, thanks

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Assuming we're talking about American (Obsoleta) rat snakes kept with corns then things would basically be the same as keeping two corns together - just have to observe the same rules regarding feeding, enough hiding places, not keeping two males together and snakes must be similar size.

I've seen this done a few times (with up to 3 Obsoleta species in with corns) but must say keeping two, or more, snakes in the same viv isn't something I'd do myself now, having done it in the past and just finding it more hassle.

Husbandry-wise, American rats and corns have pretty much the same requirements - only that rats may eventually need a bigger viv due to larger potential adult size - and neither species is habitually cannibalistic, so as long as they're roughly the same size, it's not two males and they both get on then I don't see any particular reason why not.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i would have thought the pics in that link are a good reason why not, you say that they are cannabalistic, there are corns eating corns in the link .

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Any snake could potentially eat any other snake, as long as it was physically large enough.

All I meant was that I didn't see any more reasons not to keep a corn and a US rat snake together than the reasons for not keeping two corns together.
Corns are rat snakes after all, and both share the same areas/habitat in the wild. You'd just have to observe the same rules as for two corns.

Plus most of the pics you see of cannibalism are hatchlings/juveniles - I've yet to hear of/see pics of adult rat snake species eating each other. Not saying it's not possible - just no more likely than a one adult corn eating another adult corn.

It isn't something I'd do myself - but if someone is prepared to keep two corns together, then I can't see any special reason why they wouldn't be able to keep a corn and an american rat snake together.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
I had an adult rat and a corn together for about a month years ago. That was the biggest mistake I've ever made. At the time I got told they would be Ok together.

They didn't attack each other, but I could sense they were not happy at all, and the rat (who was bigger and stronger), was being very territorial, and sometimes would chase the corn around the viv, trembling a lot.

I noticed that the corn shed his skin twice in a short period of time while they were together, I don't know exactly what the causes were, but I guess they tend to shed more often if they are feeling uncomfortable on the presence of another snake they might see it as a threat.

So, as soon as I realised it was not good for both snakes I split them up.

It's been a while now that I keep all my snakes in separate viv, and would only put snakes together again for breeding purposes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
They'd have to be pretty much the same size, and if either was male there'd likely be problems at some point.

Also depends on the personality of the individual snakes - I've kept corns together, and garters of different species together before in the past with no problems, but then they had similar temperaments.
I originally planned to keep the two garters I currently have in the same viv, but they're so different - one very sociable and friendly, the other shy, jumpy and nervous - I've ended up keeping them separate to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Iv kept corns and Obsoleta together in the past, and although I had no problems, I wouldnt recommend it. Theres always the chance that something could go wrong. And I hasten to add...This was in my early days of keeping reptiles, and like we all did, I listened to people at a shop...:naughty: :banghead:

They can be kept together, as they do have similar needs etc, but I personally would rather play it safe. If you cant house both the Corn and the Rat seperatly, dont get both. :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[b]"If you cant house both the Corn and the Rat seperatly, dont get both."[/b]

i can house them seperatly i was just wondering would it be safe too as it would free up a tank. i have decided not to keep them together to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Wise decision Colin :D

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Indeed :lol:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Guy in work thats been keeping a rat snake & corn together for a few years now, got a clutch of eggs this year. I have never seen them but he has told me he's never had any probs with them living together.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Does the same opinions apply for any species of snake?

The reason i ask is i keep 2 boas in the same tank and they are fine, but what about 2 Royals? Would love to get an albino to go with my normal but after forking out for one im not sure id have the funds for a new set up or even the room!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Generally speaking I think you could keep two of the same species of any snake together - some people even keep similar sized kings together.

But there are drawbacks - having to separate to feed, two snakes to keep an eye on when cleaning, twice as much poo in the same viv, one or both may suffer stress purely due to the prescence of another snake, possible combat between males of some species, risk of cannibalism (especially hatchlings), possible unwanted mating and if a dodgy looking poo appears, who's is it?

Enough reasons for me to keep mine separate now.
I used to keep a couple of corns together, and also garters, with no problems but I find it a lot more straightforward keeping them separate.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
i've seen a corn, black rat and yellow rat in the same enclosure. they wre all similar size though. personally believe it is better to keep snakes seperately though as it is easier to monitor problems like impaction and regurgitation and also limits stress

1 - 20 of 22 Posts