Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been keeping reptiles for nearly 2 years now, my collection seems to increase every couple of month lol.

Iv had my first succesful breeding this year and i am very chuffed about it.

Well anyway, Iv decided to branch out my interests into T's, Iv actually got my first spidey comin tomorrow.

I chose a costa rican zebra tarantula as i researched and it said that it was a great beginners T.

Can anybody else share some info/experiences about keeping these T's.

I have reseacrched it properly so I jus really want to hear what other people think of them.

cheers

scott

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Aphonopelma Seemani, the scientific name for the species.. Not a fast or nasty spider tbh. New world obviously, Terrestial.. I've had a few here that were Sub adults although I sold one to Teeny and I think did a swap with the other one.

Easy to look after tbh, like it quite dry also :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aphonopelma Seemani, the scientific name for the species.. Not a fast or nasty spider tbh. New world obviously, Terrestial.. I've had a few here that were Sub adults although I sold one to Teeny and I think did a swap with the other one.

Easy to look after tbh, like it quite dry also :)

they like it dry? most sites have sed the humidity should never drop below 75%

and they said that they are one of the fastest spiders around lol

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
they like it dry? most sites have sed the humidity should never drop below 75%

and they said that they are one of the fastest spiders around lol
ROFL, no they aren't that fast.. about as fast as Grammostola Rosea etc.. although a mate of mine who is a newbie also thinks that is fast for a spider.. :lol2:

Anyways I kept them pretty dry and they thrived :D

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ROFL, no they aren't that fast.. about as fast as Grammostola Rosea etc.. although a mate of mine who is a newbie also thinks that is fast for a spider.. :lol2:

Anyways I kept them pretty dry and they thrived :D
ok cheers mate, will take that into consideration :)

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem, anymore questions feel free to pm me. Btw hows the Pandinus Imperator I sold you? I hope its alright :D
Ah i thought I remembered the name ha.

well unfortunately it passed away mate

it was fine one day and I woke up one mornin and it was dead, dunno why it was feeding and drinking and was quite active, I jus put it down to "one of those bug things" when they die for no reason sometimes.

he was a cracking little dude tho, used to jus crawl onto me hand no problem.

cheers for the advice and the offer mate :)

scott

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Ah i thought I remembered the name ha.

well unfortunately it passed away mate

it was fine one day and I woke up one mornin and it was dead, dunno why it was feeding and drinking and was quite active, I jus put it down to "one of those bug things" when they die for no reason sometimes.

he was a cracking little dude tho, used to jus crawl onto me hand no problem.

cheers for the advice and the offer mate :)

scott
Ah crap mate, sorry to hear that..

It was very lively yeah and feeding well here tbh. No problem at all Scott :D

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
right so i should keep em quite dry then, but i thought they like to burrow??

wouldnt the soil jus collapse, or should i provide half a flower pot for cover instead??

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Dunno too much about burrowers myself, but they can stabalise their burrows in part with silk.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
right so i should keep em quite dry then, but i thought they like to burrow??

wouldnt the soil jus collapse, or should i provide half a flower pot for cover instead??
They are a ground dwelling species, terrestial.. some may occassionally make a burrow I guess but mainly they are out :D

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok cheers

just that these bloody care sheets told me to put in around 5 inches of substrate cos they like to burrow

cheers

scott

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
I keep these on the dry side, but when putting a juvie (or bigger) in a new tub I have it slightly damp as it gets them webbing sooner. They do tend to burrow, but they use webbing to keep it stable. If you put a plant pot in the tank, they will usually use it as a hid and not burrow so much. I keep them on about 4-5 inch coir as I like to give the option to burrow deep. to keep the humidity at a reasonable level I over fill a wide shallow water dish and spray once a week. these eat like mad, and like already stated; they are not a very fast T, and they tend to be a little laid back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts