Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The insurance are giving me yet another replacement as this one is faulty.. but the one they have offered me doesn't give me much that I want. So I can chose a laptop up to the value of £900. I want at least 100 gb of hard drive, a minimum of a 3.2 ghz processor and a decent graphics card to play pretty new games. So anyone who has any knowledge of computers... please help me find a decent one in that price bracket. Thanks all :D

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cant get it off there.. the insurance company have to buy it.. and use places like PC world.. but i dont have a clue what im looking at..

·
Registered
532 Posts
OHHHH :shock: ??? You want a 3.2 GHZ processor in a laptop? That'll be expensive or a custom job!

However, I'll try to help:

http://www.alienware.co.uk/Configur...scode=PC-EU-LT-SENTIA3450&subcode=SKU-DEFAULT

The basic model of that is £697.95.
So if you put the processor up to "Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 2.0GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB ", then the processor power will go up a good amount! But this will add £115, making it a overall price so far of £812.95.
Then for hardrive space you could put it up to "80GB 7200 RPM SATA with NCQ" but I'm afraid this adds £102, so the overall cost goes up to £914.95.
So, £914.95 is over your budget, but I dunno how leaneant your insurance company are and if they'll let you pay £15, I'm assuming they will!
I would seriously reccomend that laptop even though it's not quite up as high as you would of like! It will be a very good gaming PC though!
I will have a look on DELLs website but there laptops don't do gaming well!
I could throw together a custom list for you, but I'm to lazy at the mo, if you really want one, PM me and I'll see what I can do!

Thx
Matt

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this one has a duo as apparently they dont make 3.2 ghz anymore.. this one cost £900 and has everything but a decent graphics card.. and I cant plug one in.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well I have heard of 3.2GHZ processors and higher in some expensive laptops but I really don't think that it's worth having anymore than 3.0GHZ, 2.0 would be good enough for normal laptop use and gaming!

Thx
Matt

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also alienware dont technically exist anymore.. Dell bought them out.. been told Dell break down very easily.

·
Registered
532 Posts
We've had are main DELL desktop for 4 years without one incedent, then havn't had the problems with the laptop or the other desktop and we've had them both for around 2 and a 1/2 years.

Thx
Matt

·
Registered
532 Posts
NNY said:
Also alienware dont technically exist anymore.. Dell bought them out.. been told Dell break down very easily.
That dosn't really matter what so ever though does it? Just because they got bought by DELL dosn't change there computers.

Thx
Matt

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cant order it though... tried already and been told bad things by everyone whos owned one.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Accept me :p !

Well, you asked for help, I was just giving my advice and opinion, if you don't want it then thats fine.

Thx
Matt

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers Ryan... think that one might be the one then. Ill sort it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Have you checked the Dell website ? I bought my directly from Dell and have no regrets.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah but the same computer as what Ryan just put up would cost me £500 more.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
do for dual 2 core there a hell of alot better then just dual core. make sure u get a laptop with a sata hd, they run alot faster most have them as standard now. u can actually get laptops with dual hard drives these days but ur talking alot more money.

dell are pretty good aslong as u blag them to give u a proper xp disk and dont use the dell recovery disk they give u, it fills the hd full of shite, use the normal xp disk to do a fresh windows install without all the nessecary shite and there great machines.

my iridium starbook 2.8ghz, 512 drr, 128mg standalone ati graph card, that ive had 2 years is finally giving up the go. hd is ****ed and the ntfs file system is completly rodgered. hopefully a new hd will sort it.

to be honest if ur just gonna use it at home u may aswell get a desktop. you get alot more for ur money. i need a laptop as i dont fancy carting a hwole pc along to clubs everytime i play out.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Need a laptop as the attic is where we are keeping the reps so will be up there alot. So need it in the bedroom and attic. Im calling up tomorrow to hopefully get the one Ryan suggested as its in the price range and seems pretty good. Ive got an HP at the mo but their graphics card are the intel chipsets which dont play half the games out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts