Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I recently rescued an adult female sand boa, but am very concerned for her health. I have experience with two previous sand boas, but would love some advice on this one because she seems extremely unhealthy. I wasn't able to get all of the information on her history, but here is what I know. She is around four years, prior to my getting her she hadn't eaten in over a year, she was kept in a 60 degree (farenheight) tank for her entire lifespan, she has never had access to water. Since getting her I have raised temperatures and given her plenty of water but she still isn't eating voluntarily (I have assist fed her twice). Is there anything I can do to encourage her to eat?

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
60f all her life? Omg that's awful, poor snake :(. With that in mind, I'd book her in for a check up with a vet to see if any long term damage has been done.

What is her current enclosure setup, include temps, heating used etc?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
After such a long period of abuse a turnaround to normal behaviour can take time (sandboas can be stubborn even when kept ideally), give a flat heavy hide on top of the substrate, over the heat (slate, a bit of thick polypropylene) and offer small live mice, offered at night, left for 3-4hrs. a Good temp is 95of.

good luck
rgds
ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts