Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm slightly concerned about the way my beardie has been acting over the past week or so.

First I will give Viv conditions: -

Cool End (70 - 75 degrees)
Basking end - (90 degrees)
Top of basking rock - (93 - 98 degrees)
Temp remains the same 24 hours a day.

It's a male beardie of around 5-6 months old.

What I'm concerned about is that he seem's too active & by that I mean it's as though he's desperatley trying to escape from his viv by frantically scratching at the front glass, climbing up & down the vines & jumping on the protective basking bulb's mesh.

I have also noticed that lately he seems to be turning his beard black every now & again.

His eating doesn't seem effected however there are a few crix running around he doesn't seem to bother with only when I feed him by hand is when he's interested.

Is this something to be concerned about as I'm concerned the environment isn't right for him & he's stressing out?

Another thing I was wondering is does my UV tube need replacing as I've had it around 5 months now & could be having an effect on his behaviour.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Lee.

·
Registered
632 Posts
they recomend changing tubes every 6 months so i guess it could be due a change? if u hand feed him you could make him lazy, cool your crickets in the fridge for 5 mins before u feed him, they will be slower and he may be more interested in the chase that way. Is he in thew viv on his own or do u have more? the glass scratching could be attention seeking OR he may be stressed, have u changed anythin in his viv recently?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
firstly up the basking temp to around 110 F, secondly what size is your viv, for one bd it should be at least 4x2x2 foot,if its too small they can rub they're noses sore trying to get out, and lastly the food thing could be the time of year, a lot of peoples bd's slow down with eating at this time of year.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is in the viv on his own.

I was considering eventually getting a female beardie to keep him company.

The viv size is 48" long x 15" deep x 24" high.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
viv size should be ok, if you get another one you will need another basking spot or they could fight over the best position, i would still say up the temp, you said the temp stays the same, what are you using to heat it with? lights need to be turned off for at least ten hours at night or they wont sleep and will get very confused and stressed

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The UV light comes on at 7am & goes off at 9pm.

I also use a 100 watt infra red heat lamp.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
sorry, does the infra red give off light, i know some people say that reps cant see red light but i used it at night for my royal and she went off her food,it was the only thing i changed, so i dont really believe they cant see it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. The reason I went with infra red is because I don't use heat mats & it replicates night time when the UV goes off.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
why dont u reduce temps at night?

just wandering really, i just cant imagine not doin so.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thats probably the reason why he's stressed.. without a temperature drop they can't shut down properly at night so your beardie probably isn't getting much sleep. How cool does your house go at night? If it strays above about 18C your dragon will be fine without any extra heating at night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts