Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm back with my White's Tree Frog, Jenkins.

He seems to be acting very lazy, and I know that this is common with this species. What should I do to make him a little more active?

I also stuck branches throughout his tank, but he never climbs them. I am sure he can get to all of them. I even put him on them, but he jumps off and hides in his cave.

When I first got him, he constantly climbed up the glass sides of the tank. But not he doesn't. He sometimes tries, but just slides down it. Is there something i should stick on the sides? Is there too much water on it? Too little?

I do understand that these frogs are nocturnal and a little sluggish but I'm still concerned, so if anyone could help me out it would be gladly apreciated!

Sincerely, Mihogan

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
what temp do you have him at?
whites can be notoriously lazy beasties...he should be relatively active at night though (for a white!)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thats what I was thinking, but hes not. I'm not sure of the temp, but my room is at 72 degrees F, and I have a small undertank heater thats supposed to boost it 10 degrees. It keeps half of the tank warm, half of it cold. He usually stays on the warm side.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Whites are funny things and can take much higher temps than most amphibs...it may be that your viv is not hot enough during the day meaning that by night he is bit lethargic....i would stick a heat mat on one side of the viv (outside) to try and get the heat upto about 84F. that way if he is cold he can warm himself on the glass..turn it of at night and this should give you a good drop of about 15 degrees..
do you have a thermometer in the viv? cos i would suggest getting one just to monitor what the temps are doing. does sound like a cold frog to me though.:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, well right now I dont have the money but I will look into it thanks.

but do you know why he isn't climbing

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
that could be the reason..if he is not warm enough he will not have the energy..as for glass if it's too wet he will slide down..the ones i used to keep kept sliding all the time..think they actually enjoyed it!!:)

if you can't afford a heatmat turn up your radiator and see if it has any effect...you can get a cheap strip thermometer for about £2.00..it is not hugely accurate but it will help you know how warm it is in the viv (very important)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thank you i will look into it

CASE CLOSED

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
good luck..let me know if there is any improvement..if not check back as i'm sure someone else will have a few ideas..cheers.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts