Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,Can you use either of these in terrariums??thinking of using it for a background??would be for cresties/gargoyles,probably sounds a daft question,and obviously if there is any risk to the animal i wont use it,any info would be great
Cheers
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
900 Posts
While I wouldn't recommend cement itself (a bit on the heavy side in presumably a small viv), there are other similar material you could use.

A popular method is using styrofoam to create a fake background and cover it with tile adhesive. With a bit of work you can create an entire (fake) rock wall in your viv. Properly structured it's a great way to expand your animals domain.

There are loads of youtube vids giving steps by steps how to do this if your interested.

Good luck

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I wouldn't recommend cement itself (a bit on the heavy side in presumably a small viv), there are other similar material you could use.

A popular method is using styrofoam to create a fake background and cover it with tile adhesive. With a bit of work you can create an entire (fake) rock wall in your viv. Properly structured it's a great way to expand your animals domain.

There are loads of youtube vids giving steps by steps how to do this if your interested.

Good luck

Yea i guessed it would be heavy,the units approx 5ft by 13inch deep by 14inch wide,there internal measurements,so i dont want it to thick,i did use styrofoam for a background years ago,while it looked nice,it was a fair bit of work,

Thats the unit

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I don't think I would like to put cement in that, especially as a background. Would the cement hold on to the back panel as it looks pretty smooth? If not it could cause one hell of a mess.

I would go down the polystyrene/expanding foam route with that one. It can take a while and be pretty messy but it will be much easier to move about the house if need be.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if tile grout,mixed with a small amount of cement would work just for strenght??
Or would they react with each other??

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I would like to put cement in that, especially as a background. Would the cement hold on to the back panel as it looks pretty smooth? If not it could cause one hell of a mess.

I would go down the polystyrene/expanding foam route with that one. It can take a while and be pretty messy but it will be much easier to move about the house if need be.

Il make a mess whatever i do!!!haha,ummm,yea the options seem fairly limited,

·
Registered
900 Posts
Tile grout alone provides more then enough strenght to support gecko's. There isn't a reason to mix in cement. Simply putting it on the backwall won't work though, much to smooth.

Maybe you could look into a cork/bark backwall?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tile grout alone provides more then enough strenght to support gecko's. There isn't a reason to mix in cement. Simply putting it on the backwall won't work though, much to smooth.

Maybe you could look into a cork/bark backwall?
Yea i think i might have to!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts